Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Use If Whink Rust Remover on Drum Hardware

Hi:

Well, I followed the instructions in the Cleaning and Restoring section of this great site and am almost finished with the cleaning and polishing of my 59 Radio King. Everything is coming out great.

Now, the last piece is the butt end of the clam shell strainer, which seems to be showing some rust on the mounting piece where (I think) some of the chrome has come off. I want to make the piece rust free and then polish. At some point, I will replace with a piece in better condition.

However, I read on the Whink site not to use it for metals. So, I was wondering if I can use it for the clam shell and if so, how do I use it. Do I apply Whink to the area and let it soak? If so, for how long and then how do I rinse or wipe off the Whink?

Thanks very much.

Posted on 17 years ago

I've never used it, so I can't give you an answer about it.

I use WD40 and then I scrub into all the nooks and crannies, rivets, etc. with broken off pieces of popsicle sticks...follow that with wiping off the WD40 with paper towels. Then I use a little bit of Brasso and a soft cotton rag...follow that up with a clean cotton rag and finally a few paper towels...until the shine is blinding! The WD40 fights rust and also helps clean the parts...with a bit of added, light penetrating oil. WD40 fixes everything! heh heh

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

I would not use the wink for external parts, just rusted screws and internal parts that you would not normaly remove the rust by hand etc...

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Well, glad I asked...whink, whink...ha ha

Appreciate the fast reply....I've got plenty of WD-40 and Flitz...hopefully, that will do until I can replace the part.

Thanks again.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here