Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

US Mercury???? Slingerland???

Hello all. Yes another drum I'm having trouble getting info on. I have purchased a WMP snare drum, with a black oval tag that reads US Mercury on it. I have taken it apart and cleaned it, and noticed there was a 4 digit number on the reinforcing ring. The numbers are 3565. Is that a date stamp? Like March 5 1965? It came in a big square case with a snare stand which reads Slingerland Niles in the middle. The rims look like knock off's of the old stick saver rims. It's obviously a student snare, but I'm wondering who was US Mercury? I can't find any info on it at all. Was this an off brand or entry level from Slingerland? It has 8 lugs per side. The top head has the name of the place that that it was probably purchased from here in NY. The bottom head reads King Stone 14 Plastic head made in Japan. I'm completely confused on this due to lack of info. It's in near mint condition as is the case. It's definately going in the collection even though it's probably not worth all that much. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. If you need pics just let me know. Thanks!!

Posted on 18 years ago

US Mercury was one of the big "stencil" brands of the '60s. They made tons of imports, many of them looking like Slingerland clones. There are a small group of collectors that are into the Japanese drums from the '60s. There's a web site dedicated to that genre (but I don't have the link). The most collectible are the drums in odd finishes.

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks. That info is very helpful. At least now I know it's not associated with Slingerland. Thanks for your help. Walking

Posted on 18 years ago

I am a U.S.Mercury freak,lol The first set I ever got 8 -9 years ago was a U.S.Mercury. I have since added andother snare from them to my collection. As far as the numbers 3565 go I'm not sure if thats an actual stamp date.Or just the actual drum number.Many if not most of the stencil brand drums were not dated.I was extremely surprised when I saw my 69' Kent bass drum was actually dated.I could probably give you a better date range if I see the drum. I can go by lugs,interior,strainer,and even by the badge.Either way they are nice little drums to have in a collection and sound really good.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here