Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

US Mercury pro 20" bass drum

Hey guys, thinking about grabbing this kick drum. The seller is asking $100.

Is that a fair price? I am getting more pix sent. What should I offer him for it?

[IMG]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff68/X7drums/USmercuryprobassdrum-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff68/X7drums/USmercuryprobassdrumjpg2-1.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]NO...it's NOT a particularly fair price. It's a '60's Japanese stencil by Pearl, in a common color. You could buy a 3-pc set of those for about $150-200.

I mean, it'll suit OK, it'll hold together and the hardware is sturdy enough, but it's not a great drum and would need bearing edge work to make it sound better, likely....

I'd offer $75.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I was thinking more like $50..but if you think $75, I'll make that my high offer.

Was this another badge from Pearl? I thought I had heard someone say Tama!?

I have been playing drum set for 30 plus years and have never had bearing edge work done.. Is this something a woodworking shop with a router table could do? What would be a suitable angle for vintage drums .. 30 degree?

I suppose that may depend on how I want the drums to sound.

-LesKeep on Pl

Posted on 15 years ago

I got a 20" bass exactly like that, minus the badge and with plastic rims, plus two 12" toms for $20. That was on Craig's. I'd recommend watching that as kits like this seem to come up all the time.

Might I also add that this particular drum with a PS3/Aquarian Resonator records surprisingly well? The toms dont' sound too shabby either.

Posted on 15 years ago

From Lesizmor

I was thinking more like $50..but if you think $75, I'll make that my high offer.Was this another badge from Pearl? I thought I had heard someone say Tama!?I have been playing drum set for 30 plus years and have never had bearing edge work done.. Is this something a woodworking shop with a router table could do? What would be a suitable angle for vintage drums .. 30 degree?I suppose that may depend on how I want the drums to sound.-LesKeep on Pl

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I meant no more than $75, if it's in good shape (i.e. lugs not pitted, tom mount operates smoothly, hoops are in good shape, wrap doesn't have ugly fade going on or any damage)...try $50, sure.....take a look at the shell near the spurs, is it warped at all near there ? (a lotta times, these bass drums had that issue)

Tama before it was Tama and Pearl before itw as Pearl made stencil drums w/ a lotta diffrerent names...it could be a STAR (early Tama) also...

Honestly, though, their specs were identical...luan shells, similar hardware...their quality is about the same.

I agree, with some edge tweaks and good heads and tuning, they are OK sounding drums...

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I passed on the deal. I'd really like to find some orphaned drums (floor and 22 kick) to match my olive pearl Majestic tom. I cleaned it up and it is a beauty!

-Les

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here