Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Urgent wood dyna help!

Hi all. I have an opportunity to buy this wood Dyna-sonic, my Rogers knowledge is limited and I need some urgent advice. Forgetting the non-original bottom hoop and snares, is this the real deal? Does everything match up? Does anything look abnormal? Also any idea?s on age, serial number 17230? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I think i need a hand posting these photo's!

3 attachments
47.6 kB
64.7 kB
66.6 kB
Posted on 17 years ago

Josh,

I am not an expert, but I have gathered some understanding from others. Until the real knowledge logs onto view this thread I will pass on my thoughts for immediate help.

It does have 10 lugs, it does have the vent hole a dyna sonic badge. It does not have the snare frame or bottom hoop, but that could easily be obtained.

What looks a little funny to me is the interior shot. The color of the wood is blonde - I would expect a honey/amber color interior (the shell is supposed to be maple interior layer and have 5 plys, at this point in time - I think). I don't see the reinforcement rings or the 45 degree angle cut on the edge.

The badge number would place it in the late 60's, like 1967 or 68 approximately. It has the right style strainer and I am not sure if the muffler felt was white or still black at this time but it is very possible to be white. From my understanding the seam should fall on the 2 lug to the right of the oval badge.

The real issue would be that interior, is it blonde? Are there reinforcement rings? What kind of wood is the interior of the shell? Are there reinforcement rings? Are the edges cut at a 45 degree angle? I have attached 2 pictures of my wood dyna sonic for comparison, it is from about 1965.

(I think I am correct about those points) but believe me there are a few people on this forum who will fill you in with light years more knowledge and expertise. I am just passing this on as it seems that you have a sense of urgency about this and may not hear from them in time.

Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

i am betting its a fake wrap is suspect and the shell looks like a new keller i am 99% sure i have 2 wood dynas hope TOMMY P pipes in his rogers expertise is the last word in my books steve

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks so much for your quick reply?s guys. That?s the thing that didn?t sit right with me, the suspect interior. I wasn?t sure if they all had reinforcement rings and the interior colour doesn?t look right. No money has changed hands yet, thankfully. Unless another expert can confirm this is genuine I?ll leave it for now. I?m not sure if the seller is trying to pull one over me or genuinely like me, lacking in knowledge when it comes to Rogers. The rest of the drum looks pretty damn nice to me. You guys may have just saved me a heap of cash. God I love this forum. Cheers.

Posted on 17 years ago

This is a fake. The interior color is wrong and there are no rerings. Looks like a Keller shell and a hijacked Dyna badge (which looks damaged) and lugs and other parts.

Jack

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 17 years ago

This is a fake.

Hah, I seen it when it listed on ebay and emailed the seller calling attention to the incorrect parts. He closed the auction and relisted it again later.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

The lug inserts are from Big R era. Note the clips. Later Big R snares had the similiar beavertail exteriors, but used clips instead of internal springs to hold the inserts in place. Dynas also has clear coated interior, giving a "honey" clear finish.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi Josh...

These guys are ALL CORRECT... it's bogus. Really not done well at all as there are so many areas that scream FAKE... and again, it is. No need for me to restate or reiterate the points of contention as they have already been addressed. Bogus I'm afraid.

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

It landed again on ebay twice last week, same seller. The boy is trolling hard for a victim.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Hi everyone, my first post here. Yeah, it's a fake.Hi Jack, Tommy, and others. Hey David A. nice to see you at the Chicago Show.Take care guys,Bruce

Hey Bruce, good to see you here. Cool

JackWelcome

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here