Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Up from the Ashes

Some time ago I posted a query about this little blue drum that I bought for a song. I couldn't work out what I'd bought but advice on the forum and closer examination determined that this was a late 50's early 60's 15" marching snare cut down to 5.5". There's no badge on it so I don't know who made it but I suspect Ludwig or maybe WFL. It has nice heavy triple flange NOB hoops (identical to those on my Broadway sans name stamp).

Upon returning from a wonderful trip along the Camino de Santiago in Spain, I was sufficiently inspired to set about restoring this little gem and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. The original snare strainer was toast so I gave it a nice time-appropriate WFL strainer and butt instead and it sounds really good. The hideous metallic blue paint was a swine to remove but with several applications of stripper it eventually relented and with some careful sanding there is barely a trace left.

With its 8 lugs and heavy hoops it has a great sound and will hopefully give someone a lot of pleasure when I move it on. Interestingly inside the shell it has the inscription 'Ronnie Lee Jones - 1962) and it would be nice to know who this guy is/was and whether it was him that cut the shell down all those years ago. Anyway I hope the before & after photos do it justice!

2 attachments
"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 8 years ago

The mahogany looks classy. Good job. Looks better than before for sure.

Northern Spain is beautiful. How did you like Galicia? Did you walk the entire way?

Sorry to divert from the subject, but my family (mother and extended family) are from Galicia- La Coruna specifically. It's not far from Santiago de Compestella.

Posted on 8 years ago

Absolutely loved it. Galicia was beautiful and particularly in Autumn. We had torrential rain the last two days into Santiago but the rest was stunning. We walked around 300km simply because I couldn't get sufficient time off work to do the full 800km but we'll be back to do the rest some time. The trouble is it's about 30 hours flying from New Zealand so you really have to want to go to endure that amount of time in the air!

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 8 years ago

Nice save! Die-cast hoops, I like it. :D

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 8 years ago

my goodness there goes to show the talent here on vdf

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 8 years ago

Nice!

1. Could you show a picture of the inside? I'm curious about teh cut-down.

2. Is it (soundwise) in someway noticable that it's a 15 inch shell?

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 8 years ago

Glad you like the finished drum. This photo shows the inside of the drum and you can see the glue line around the lower reinforcing hoop. The new bearing edge has been pretty well cut and the conversion was carefully done so there is very little evidence externally of the drum's original form.

Sound-wise it has a bit more range than a 14" although I tend to tune quite high so some of that is lost but you still get plenty of depth. It's comparable to my 15" Broadway although that drum is much deeper anyway. The heavy cast NOB hoops on this little drum finish it well in my opinion.

1 attachments

Posted on 8 years ago

Beautiful work Gerard! Care and detail really shows. Those hoops look rock solid too. I like! :)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

Really nice job on the finish. I wonder what thought went into cutting it down from it's original size. Maybe it was damaged and saved by the modification. It looks like a Ludwig to me.

Posted on 8 years ago

I have assumed that it was a Ludwig but couldn't be sure. There was no badge and nothing on either the original strainer or butt. I did contemplate putting a simple blank breather hole with a brass eyelet through the shell but opted not to in the end.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here