Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

UNKNOWN SNARE and other drums

Hi,

I have just purchased a room full of vintage drums and hardware and would like to get a little information on them. I have three questions - the first has to do with a snare I can not identify - It is natural wood finish and has 6 lugs but no badge - the lugs have a "C" on them and the snare tensioner has a "CC" - I think it measures 13 x 4. I think a picture would say more but I can't upload one.

The second question is about a set of 5 Gretsch drums in a vey dark, almost black finish (not a wrap but more of a stain with clear on top). "RIMS" suspension on all the drums. Silver paint inside with silver and white paper labels. Antique Bronze Badge shows two "Gretsch"s one upsidedown. Model number on a small tom is EB 4413 and the serial number is 34437. I was just wondering the approximate time frame on these drums and what the finish is called.

The third is a set of 5 Swingerland in Green Sparkle, black and silver Niles Oval badge, a "P" is stamped on the unfinished wood inside. A serial number on a tom is 160335. These drums have the rims but they are rusty, no heads on them though.

Any info would be appreciated.

Posted on 18 years ago

First, let me know where your shopping for drums!!

Second send me some pictures and I will add them to the forum

so it will be easier to answer the questions.

Also, list each drum and size for both sets and we can get to an answer quicker and in more detail

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi David,

Thanks for responding - I guess it was a real find. I am trying to upload some photos but I haven't figured out how to get the resolution small enough to post them. I took them with the lowest resolution my camera would allow but they are still too large. I am trying to load an image now but I don't know if it will work.

As far as what are in the kits - the Slingerland kit is the easiest because the previous owner labeled the drums - The bass drum is 14 x 20, tom tom 9 x 13, tom tom 8 x 12, floor tom 16 x 18 and floor tom 16 x 16.

The Gretsch set - Bass drum 22 x 18, Tom tom 8 x 5, tom tom 12 x 10, tom tom 14 x 11, floor tom 16 x 15.

I hope this is helpful

2 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Email me a few at

[EMAIL="vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com"]vsd@vintagesnaredrums.com[/EMAIL]

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Wow! Interesting "C" drum! For some reason, that drum is screaming "NON-AMERICAN" made. I wanted to guess that it was an Asian drum of some sort, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a European-made drum....maybe Italian? I can't wait to find out!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

How much for the green sparkle Slingys?!?!?!?

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi David,

Thanks for enlarging rhe photos - that looks good.

Hi VA DRUMS,

It is ultimately my intention to sell the drums, If you would like a more complete description here it is - All drums have all their badges, lugs and hoops (but no tensioners to attach them) and no heads. The lugs look OK but the rims are rusted. The wrap appears to be in OK condition with some normal scratching and wear but overall OK. The drums have maintained their roundness but they are showing a little stress separation on some of the laminated wood where the hoops attach.

The drums are as follows ?

1. Bass drum ? 14 x 20 - One large silver rim (one rim missing) , no feet or tensioners SN 156974

2. Tom tom ? 9 x 13 - SN 160335

3. Tom tom ? 8 x 12 ? SN 156927,

4. Floor Tom ? 16 x 18 - SN 160341

5. Floor Tom ? 16 x 16 ? SN 160342 (consecutive numbers)

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here