Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Unknown Japanese "Super Sensitive" style Snare Drum?

I am wondering if anyone has seen one of these Vintage Japanese snares with the 2 throwoffs like this, kind of like a cheap version of the Ludwig S.S. or Tama KingBeat. Each throwoff has a screw to tighten down the wires which would have 1 hole on each end but the wire needed for this would be like 15.5" or somewhere near there which is shorter than Tama King Beat.One throwoff has a larger diameter threaded rod coming out of it and that throwoff has a lever that turns around in a circle to keep tightening that side. Any ideas or where i would find the correct wire for this?? This is one of the better more solid Japanese shells so i think it will eventually when im done be a pretty good sounding snare. I added the DW badge to fill in a couple holes. One photo shows the drum with 2 nut adjusters but i have the lever back on now. What do you guys think?

5 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Very interesting. Those look like Gretsch lugs, no? The throws are certainly MIJ.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

Very interesting. Those look like Gretsch lugs, no? The throws are certainly MIJ.

They are Gretsch copy lugs, Slingerland sticksaver style copy hoops. I have had and do have a lot of these Japanese drums and some are garbage quality shells and some are fairly decent. Same with the mounting hardware, some are decently chrome plated and some are horribly plated.

Posted on 14 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised to find it is a Stewart. I am finding that Star lugs are a bit heftier than those cast by Pearl, for the most. Those throws are intriguing though. One of mine has those hoops as well. I would like to see, or hear, after you complete it. I have a couple of single ply MIJs and one sounds good, the other rings like mad. Same heads, same everything, except for the lugs. Both are, however, Pearl.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

I wouldn't be surprised to find it is a Stewart. I am finding that Star lugs are a bit heftier than those cast by Pearl, for the most. Those throws are intriguing though. One of mine has those hoops as well. I would like to see, or hear, after you complete it. I have a couple of single ply MIJs and one sounds good, the other rings like mad. Same heads, same everything, except for the lugs. Both are, however, Pearl.

I had this drum all apart and i do remember the lugs were pretty heavy for their slim size. I do remember seeing a Stewart gold sparkle snare and i think it did have the same lugs. These are the lugs i think like Gretsch where the mounting holes dont go inside the shell but are flush to the outer shell. This shell is a thick shell with fairly thick reinforcement rings and seem fairly solid compared to most Japanese shells. The other red sparkle shell i had apart with this one cleaning up was a 6-lug and the shell was absolute garbage. It had a real thin shell with thin reinforcement rings and i could have taken the shell with my bare hands and smashed it right in half.(no joke) Thats how thin and cheap the other one was. Tuned up it was playable but never will sound great. It seems like all Japanese no name snares i have ever owned must have a Remos ring on them to kill the awful ring.

Posted on 14 years ago

I had a japanese steel snare that had a butt plate with a tension adjustment like I had seen on a slingerland snare,looked like a throw without a lever.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey there, I have a snare with this same single screw, double adjusted strainer.

a Dau (Tochigi Gakki) 14x5 (1964-66?) in blue sparkle- identical strainer to yours. It came with the org wires attached using a clear, thin plastic strip with a single holes punched through it, then the screw you pictured there was placed going through the two holes and screwed down. So, simply put - a typical clear plastic strip with two holes and the screw goes throught them forming a loop to hold the snappys.

I took it off immediately (I hate those old plastic strips) and used snare cord just like you did there. It work just fine.

Dau Photos:

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/P1010015-3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/P1010016-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/Osakabop/P1010014-1.jpg[/IMG]

You can see the damage due to age on the interior shell but the drum still sounds quite nice. Love the blue sparkle. Dau seems to have the same badge design as DelRay drums that were imported to the USA. I suspect Dau was the name and badge for the ones that stayed in Japan.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Almost the same drum except appears it that the OP's shell is much nicer[/COLOR][COLOR="Grey"] BTW - don't rebadge old drums[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Hello All....

Im considering buying a set to practice on. (Im a beginner )... A friend of a friend is selling his 5pc Yahama kit. Apparently its from the 70's... The finish is a chrome/silver wrap with a steel snare... Im not sure of all the sizes but should be able to see it in a few days. He's asking $250 w/hdwre... What kinda wood is it or might be? Any site out there where I might be ablee to "drum" up any useful info...?

Thanks....

New Member...

Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Almost the same drum except appears it that the OP's shell is much nicer[/COLOR][COLOR="Grey"] BTW - don't rebadge old drums[/COLOR]

JAY: There was no badge on it, Looked like it had a 2-pin holes for the badge and some other weird looking 1/2" round hole but only halfway through the shell. The DW badge which was basically free looks so much better than what is underneath the badge.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here