Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Uneven lug factory placement???

Hello folks,

Haven't posted in a while, so I was I wondering if someone could shed some light on this subject. After picking up a vintage Bollero 10 lug snare drum, and then giving it an overhaul for restoring by removing the wrap, adding modern hardware, in this case, new Pearl throw and butt to be more gig reliable, I discovered something weird and annoying. Keep in mind that the problem in question has NOT been tampered by me at all, because all i did to the snare until now, was remove the wrap, plug up the holes of the old throw off and butt plate, and sanded and stained the shell,( which came out pretty great btw). But when i installed the heads just to hear what the drum sounded like, I noticed that the original rim holes weren't aligned with the tension rod holes in the lug. So my first thought was, slightly warped hoop. So i brought the drum to my local used/new gear drum shop to buy a new Gibraltar 2.3mm batter hoop and , low and behold, I wasn't losing my marbles. The original hoop holes were totally uneven straight from factory, and then when I bought a new Gibraltar hoop, it was the same story, although it fit better than the original hoop. But then on closer inspection, both the shop manager and i noticed that it was also the lugs which were unevenly installed from the factory ! Crazy, but not unheard of, since we all know the quality control reputation of MIJ drums. So, i will keep the drum for now, and give it a test run at my next gig to see if it holds up well tuning wise. If not, I'll get rid of it. If any of you guys have encountered this type of problem, pls feel free to share them here, as I'm curious to see if having uneven factory installed lugs and hoops is a regular occurrence. As always, all thoughts are appreciated..

Cheers,

Rob

Posted on 4 years ago

I had a set of Club Dates where the BD casings were closer to the batter side and some were skewed. Who'd a thunk it eh? :)

Posted on 4 years ago

On Kent Drums, this was not uncommon.

Posted on 4 years ago

I've seen a couple "doozies" (or should I say don't-zies) like this. I once had a Premier snare that literally had the snare beds on one side off by one panel. If the "big" companies can't always get it right (and let it slide through QC) one can only imagine that these "boo boos" are a common occurence on stencil kits.

Just an idea...you could mount it with single flange hoops like these:

https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1193&products_id=15402

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 4 years ago

While I haven't really had any drums with lugs off too much, I did have a Ludwig Acrolite snare drum where the beds didn't line up with the throw-off and butt. Could never figure out why the drum always buzzed...until I finally noticed the beds! The long piece of tape shows were the beds are and the short piece shows where they should be! Each arrow points to the middle of the bed on the long tape and where the middle of the bed should be on the short tape.

Are the beds installed before the shell is punched for holes or vice versa?

These pictures speak for themselves!!

-Mark

5 attachments
112 kB
117.3 kB
124.5 kB
122.7 kB
127.9 kB
Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here