Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Unbranded MIJ Silver Glitter Restore

Greetings,

I started a thread about how I wet sanded (a first for me) this kit. I promised photos when she was all ready to go, so here she is!

Here is the original thread about wet sanding them:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=57561&highlight=wet+sanded+MIJ

8" x 12", 16" x 16", 14" x 22 and a 5" x 14" Early 70's Ludwig Supraphonic. I believe it is from the early 70's at least. There is a date stamped on the inside, but it is smeared (all I can make out is "JUN"). It has a pointy B/O Badge with no serial number, so I believe this puts it in the early 70's, Can anyone confirm or deny?

They have slightly thicker shells (maybe 5 or 6 ply) with no re-rings, but have natural interiors, not painted gray like the thick 8 or 9 ply MIJ shells. You don't see too many MIJ kits that have natural interiors with no re-rings. I have the matching 9" x 13" as well, but I am not currently using it. I'm calling it Silver Glitter, because that's what Precision Drum Company calls it. If you look at the bass drum, the front side hoop inlay is original, and the batter side hoop inlay is new Silver Glitter from Precision, and it's a darn near prefect match. Definitely not very Silver, but I guess it sounds better than Dirty White Glitter or Dishwater Glitter LOL.

Kit was missing all reso heads/hoops/tension rods when I got it, and the one bass hoop it did have was metal chrome. Usually you see black hoops with this kind of kit, I thought the natural would look nice for a change.

Only original parts are 11 of the 12 tension rods on the rack tom, internal tone controls on the toms, clip bracket on the 12", leg brackets on the 16", the spurs and rail/arm on the bass drum, and the aforementioned reso hoop inlay. I used a Ludwig bracket (same hole spacing) for the Cymbal L-arm. Everything else is new, including heads and 2.3 mm hoops for the toms.

This was a fun project, and I think they turned out very well. When natural sunlight hits them, they sparkle brighter than any other kit I have; you literally need sunglasses!

Enjoy!

V

3 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

A beautiful drum kit for sure

They really do have a nice sparkle to them

I like the look of the natural wood hoops

and the bass drum head looks nice on there too

They look absolutely brand new GREAT JOB!! k

Posted on 7 years ago

Amazing! Looks killer. Coated bottom reso heads, love it, I do the same thing. You did an outstanding job on it...how were the bearing edges when you got it? Did you have to do any work on them? My Coronet kit has thicker shells with no re rings, and natural finish...you're right, don't see very often on MIJ kits (from my experiences). Would love to hear that kit band2

Posted on 7 years ago

No serial number on the supra would put it at 1970, when Ludwig (for some reason) didn't put any serial numbers on badges for a year.

Posted on 7 years ago

Looks fabulous!

65-73 Ludwig orphans 22/16/15/13/12 (silver sparkle rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 5 x 14
1976 Ludwig Acrolite 5 x 14
1966 Ludwig Pioneer 5 x 14
66-'67-ish Slingerland orphan project 20/13 (original champagne sparkling pearl)
Mid-60's Slingerland Gene Krupa COB Sound King 5 x 14
Mid-50's Slingerland tenor-to-floor tom resto/conversion project
Early 50's Slingerland Marcher resto project
Pork Pie 6.5 x 14 Big Black
Zildjians
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here