Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

UK? mystery snare

I had an email asking if this snare was made by Drouyn. The lugs (or tension casings) look like Drouyn however they don't look the same to me. Premier in the UK made snares with a similar designed casing at one stage. Also the slotted tension rods were used by Drouyn however these look different. The snare gate looks similar to older Premier snares. Any ideas? Thanks very much.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 1 year ago

I have no idea who made that drum, but it's very nice. With a parallel strainer, one would expect it to have been one of the major manufacturers.

Posted on 1 year ago

The lugs look exactly like the Premier Double-Ace models from the 1939 catalog.

(see Drumarchive.com)

I suspect the rims may not be original and I can't seem to place the snare system.

Edit: Lugs are also very similar to Dandy drums.

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks for that link. I had looked for that model Premier everywhere. My theory is that Douglas Drouyn copied that lug design for Dandy, since he sold their hardware with his drums and Premier had stopped using that design. As Dan said, the strainer looks very well produced. A bit beyond the Drouyn factory, imo. It's a mystery though. Thanks for the replies - I was asking for a fellow vintage drum collector.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here