Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Turning Concert Toms Into Closed Toms

Hello all,

I have a couple of concert toms that I would like to turn into closed toms (13", 14" & 15" with granitone interiors). They are Ludwig concert toms (b/o badge) and have reinforcing rings - top & bottom on the inner shell.

I'm naturally going to have to drill holes in order to fit more lugs onto the bottom sides of the shells. I know it will be a little tricky, since I've never drilled a drum shell before.

I'm considering using a drill press as I don't want to perform this task with a drill free-hand and wrecking the whole thing. Just not sure how to go about the whole process, like how to steady the drum while drilling etc.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done this and if they had any drilling tips/things I should be careful of.

Thanks very much for any info.

Happy drumming!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Get a 90-degree triangle or L-square. Put the shell on a flat table and align the existing upper holes. You will nail the lower hole locations dead-on.

The best drill bits are called uni-bits. They are stepped bits. They cut very good, clean holes in shells.

Short of that, just make sure your bits are sharp. Dull bits will shred thin-ply shells. I usually use a very small bit, say 1/16" to drill from the outside-in. Then I use the larger bit to finish it off, drilled from the inside-out.

ALWAYS BACK THE HOLE WITH A WOOD BLOCK OR SUCH. This keeps the plys from ripping.

I dunno about a drill press, for the reason you stated. I can't picture that, but then again I'm a dinosaur....

So the bottom edges are already shaped ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here