Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Turning concert toms into closed toms

Hello. I recently acquired a couple of vintage Tama Superstar concert toms in Super Mahogany finish. I'm interested in converting them to closed toms by having bearing edges cut on the bottoms of the shells and mounting the lug casings for the bottom heads. A friend of mine is pretty good at cutting bearing edges with his router. I'm fairly handy with a drill, but I don't want to damage the shells in any way. Does anyone have any words of advice regarding this procedure?

I also posted this question on the Tama site, but I know there's a wealth of information among the members here, as well.

Posted on 13 years ago

"pretty good" + "fairly handy" = "oops" with a "dang" as a remainder.

Posted on 13 years ago

It would seem simpler to me that you would simple sell (or shelve) the concert toms and buy regular toms. Maybe someone here would trade.

Any reason why you would have to keep those particular toms?

Posted on 13 years ago

Ok I just got back up off the floor,...

Start the holes with an awl, use a pilot drill bit, and tape the holes before you drill inside and out.

How do you intend to transfer the pattern to the bottom ??

You must copy the berring edge excactly, revel and all !!

The Best advice put me on the floor and was given by mcjnic !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Let's say you decide to keep these and go through the process. Make sure the "pretty handy" part is damned good. Use a slide square (combination square), make sure you have everything as square as absolutely possible and use blue tape outside to mark your spots for the holes and also, use a small starter (pilot) bit and the final bit should be large enough that you don't have to go oops...measure three times, drill once (each hole, of course). Tape the interior as well to minimize blowout. I use a sharpie to make my marks, it doesn't smudge and smear very easily

I understand why you want to use these as Super Mahogany finish in good condition is getting hard to come by.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Why are we even discussing this here?

I think this forum is about history, preservation and restoration... not modification.

Just my opinion here.................:)

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

Because two-headed toms sound better than concert toms ... in my humble opinion.

Cutting new edges is a job I'd leave to a professional.

9x Slingerland New Rock 50N 12-13-16-22 with 170 (Super S-O-M) holder
• 1979 Oak
• 1978 Blakrome + 6.5x14 TDR SD
• 1977 Black Diamond Pearl + 5x14 SD (gold badge, Rapid strainer)
• 1976 Black Cordova
• 1975 Silver Sparkle + 5x14 SD (Rapid strainer)
• 1974 Chrome + 5x14 COB TDR and 6.5x14 COW Zoomatic SDs
• 1973 Purple Sparkle
• 1973 Phantom (clear)
• 1971 Walnut (gold badges) + 5x14 TDR SD
1x Rogers Powertone Londoner V 12-13-16-22
• 1972 Butcher Block + 1979 big R Dynasonic SD
Posted on 13 years ago

Dragging and double taps are cleaner on concert toms !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

From drummike

Hello. I recently acquired a couple of vintage Tama Superstar concert toms in Super Mahogany finish. I'm interested in converting them to closed toms by having bearing edges cut on the bottoms of the shells and mounting the lug casings for the bottom heads. A friend of mine is pretty good at cutting bearing edges with his router. I'm fairly handy with a drill, but I don't want to damage the shells in any way. Does anyone have any words of advice regarding this procedure?I also posted this question on the Tama site, but I know there's a wealth of information among the members here, as well.

Simple process. AS stated above, measure 3 times before drilling. Use a brad bit. You won't need a starter hole. Line up the holes with the top ones. Match the top bearing edge. Use a block of wood on the inside, hold tight to prevent blow out.

On a side note.. My Imperialstar concert tom lugs are further away from the bearing edge to some what balance out the drum. If I were to do this (and I've tossed the idea around a lot), the bottom lugs would need to be equal distance away from the edge which may look funky. And on the smaller toms, there isn't enough room to line the lugs up, so you may want to take a second look at this.

Good luck and post pics... if you need help feel free to PM me..

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 13 years ago

From latzanimal

Simple process. AS stated above, measure 3 times before drilling. Use a brad bit. You won't need a starter hole. Line up the holes with the top ones. Match the top bearing edge. Use a block of wood on the inside, hold tight to prevent blow out. On a side note.. My Imperialstar concert tom lugs are further away from the bearing edge to some what balance out the drum. If I were to do this (and I've tossed the idea around a lot), the bottom lugs would need to be equal distance away from the edge which may look funky. And on the smaller toms, there isn't enough room to line the lugs up, so you may want to take a second look at this. Good luck and post pics... if you need help feel free to PM me..

I'm with Latz on this one....the concert toms lugs were closer to the center of the shell compared to a regular double headed tom. Like he said, you might want to re-think this before you ruin a drum. Trading for what you want might be the better option on this one.

I do believe that concert toms WILL make a comeback one of these days and then, all of those converted concert toms will have no value in the vintage market. Besides, what's so bad about concert toms anyway? We all used them (or took the bottom heads off our double headed toms) to get that sound, so what's the big deal? I say leave them as is and swap them for what you really want and let them keep their future value intact.

One more related point......concert toms=Phil Collins :cool:

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here