Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Tuning New Heads on Rogers kit after Restore

Well I have the old kit back in tip top shape after a few weeks of begging, bartering, and borrowing, and now the time to put the new heads on and see what the big fuss was all about when people talked about the sound of the "Rogers" drums back in the day. I consider myself a pretty good drummer, but the truth is, I never had to replace heads on my old drums. I was never taught that part, kind of like I play piano but can not tune that either. I have watched numerous videos on tuning and all are pretty much the same. I thought it was going to be pretty simple, but I was wrong. I just can not get any of the drums to sound good at all. The bass drum is hollow sounding that has a reverb ring sound that I can not get out. The snare was a piece of cake, Snappy, very crisp and tight, I love it. The 13" and 14" toms they are not half bad, but still has that ring to it and they sound so much like they are bigger drums. The floor tom? It is awful, does not even have a descent tone on the bottom head, and the top head just does not seem to want to tune to a descent tone either. I am really upset, I know it's there, but inexperience in this field is frustrating me so bad. Can anyone give me some tips? Or some helpful links. I have been to many, many sights, but I guess I am a retard and can not get it. Help out a friend please.Help2

(That's Me)
http://www.ethanmilesband.com
Billy Pettit
Posted on 15 years ago

what heads did you use? There are a lot of opinions about this. What I do is put the head on and snug it up pretty good. Then I push the head in the center pretty hard, to stretch it. Back off the lug screws and then tighten them up again a hair over finger tight. From there I go maybe a quarter turn on every lug around the head, doing one lug then the lug directly across from it. Tap on the head with a stick about a inch and a half or so at each lug untill you get a sound that is somewhat equal all the way around. I also tune the resonant head a bit higher in pitch than the batter. I like my toms to have a lot of low end but that is just me. Some guy's (or gal's) really crank down a new head and then back it off and tune it to there liking. Its not rocket science, just mess with it until you get a sound you like. Don't be discouraged, some heads go on and tune right up and sometimes it takes a lot of messing with to get it right. Bass drums for me are trickier. I like to have someone around so that they can hit it and I can here it from in front.

Good luck!!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]What he said.

Especialy the part about "seating" the heads (tightening slightly, pushing down on center with some significant force, loosening and then tuning up from there).

If you are getting some odd ringing...it may be that just ONE or TWO of your tuning points is off....out of twelve or sixteen of 'em....that can do it.

Also, have you engaged the mufflers at all ? Those mufflers...they are like gold.

I cannot stand the fact that contemporary kits don't have mufflers anymore.

Lastly, a question already asked....what kinda heads (on both batter and res sides) are you using ?

Be patient...it'll come.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here