Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Tung Oil Treatment or Not?

Been busy taking the Buddy Rich '57 Super Classic snare apart along with the 13" tom aquired last Saturday. I found this gorgeous 54 year old Mahogany inside both drums. Dry as a bone and nicely aged!

The date stamp is Oct 1957. I was born 3 months later!

My question is should I do a light treatment of Tung oil to enhance the response or leave it as its FAT, warm self? Would a treatment devalue the drum?

Cheers!

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago

I'm no expert, but I would say definitely do not do that. I think it would devalue the drum, and I don't think a light treatment would do much to the sound. Tung oil is not as hard of a finish as lacquer, and might need a thick layer to increase the projection.

But isn't the way it sounds now half the reason to play vintage drums anyway?

Posted on 12 years ago

good o'l lemon oil or butchers wax is all u need

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks potsy and jag.

Such a tough call. I was told by some that a light treatment of "oil", tung or otherwise serves to re-moisten and seal the outer layers of wood, something needed for shells over thirty years old because it becomes really dry and brittle. But is this dry wood part of the vintage sound? Is the shell in danger of splintering and needs some moistening? I don't think it is because of the re-rings.

The wood on these shells has taken on a really nice patina too. Just looking for the right answers on these really nice shells.

Thanks for the help!

-kellyj

Posted on 12 years ago

Tung oil is different from lemon oil oil or wax because it cures into a hard finish. There is a chemical reaction with oxygen that changes it into something more like a lacquer than an oil.

Posted on 12 years ago

So lemon oil on the shopping list I will have a cart full of drum cleaning supplies next time I go to wal mart lol

Posted on 12 years ago

My main concern is changing the character of such a classic snare from Ludwig history. Adding laquer to a wood surface that was not there in the first place may be a mistake. I guess if in doubt don't change it...right?

I have used it in the past and like the result on Mahogany. For some reason I just can't open the bottle of oil ...

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

I seriously doubt that tung oil will change the sound THAT much... while it undergoes a polymerizing reaction, the "strength" imparted seems to be minimal

it seems its been commonly stated (on DFO, amongst others) that you'd need to do 4 to 6 coats to have any real effect

as an experiment, i layered 3 sheets (about 2" x 3") of paper towel on top of each other, and soaked them in tung oil, tamped lightly to promote absorption and let them dry/cure for a month and a half

the three sheets adhered to each other, but i wouldn't call them strong by any means; as a quick test, i loaded up pennies on one side of the sheet, and reached 10 before they fell off

the same test using a wood hardener (PC Petrifier) reached 23 before there was not enough physical room left on the sheet to hold any more

I think tung oil IS beneficial as a sealer, though

I just need to get a matching set of new heads to hear what the SOUND differences are

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Interesting test you did Dave.

Tung oil is probably better as a sealer. I did not use it on this snare. Just could not do it...

I just finished the detailing and cleaning. Here's the end result. I always wanted one of these pre-Jazz Fest, eight lug 3-ply snares!

-kellyj

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

looks nice...

I actually did the PC Petrifier treatment to an entire (basswood) kit, and left the second one plain... wanted to see/hear what the differences were like between two identical sets, with one interior treated, the other left plain

as mentioned, still need to get matching set of heads

have also treated a luan bass/tom combo already, and felt it was too much work (and smell) for too little sonic difference... but i do like the preservation aspect

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here