Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Tucking new calfskin head Q's...............

I was reading the "how to" thread pinned here but have a few questions. I have a 22" calfskin head I'd like to remove, reuse the hoop and tuck a new head on. This is for the 22" bass on my new project kit. 1 head is still in nice shape (with the RK stamp on it even!) and has nice tension and sounds great. 1 is pretty wavy gravy, kinda beat and this is the one I'd like to redo.

First what were the original hoops made from?

About how long does it need to soak for to remove the old head? What do I need to inspect/look for on the hoop to be sure it's ok to reuse?

Now it says to leave a good 1-2" around the head to properly tuck it.

Which is better 1 inch or 2?

And do I need to trim the new skin to a smaller size if 1" is better?

When I buy the new skin I would get a 24" skin to tuck a 22" head? Or is the 22" skin oversize to tuck a 22" head?

Are all the new calfskins vendors sell come from the same company? Or are there different brands and if so is one better than the other?

Last question on this, how long does the new skin need to soak before it's ready to tuck?

I know I could get a fiberskin bass head and be done with it but this is a old Radio King project and skin heads fit the vibe i'm after. So I'd like to give it a shot. I did try a search for some of these questions but didn't really get the hits I was after.

As always many thanks.

Glenn.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Glenn,

Most flesh hoops are wooden. Cooperman will sell you new unglued hoops which you can size yourself to fit the drum your working on.

You would need a 26" untucked skin to fit a 22" drum. The skin must be large enough to wrap all the way around the flesh hoop. A little extra skin is okay and can be tucked away and will even hold the dried skin in place better when tucked well. If the skin is too small, then it won't wrap all the way around the flesh hoop and you're out of luck!

Types of calf: Three general types - Irish which is top quality but very expensive. It's what orchestral timpanists use. American, the only remaining source of which is Stern Tanning in Milwaukee and is of very high quality but is still fairly expensive compared to plastic. And those imported from the middle and far east such as (such as these guys who I believe are Pakistani ) which are of varying degrees of lesser qualities but can be played if you get a good one that isn't too thick and you aren't too picky about quality control.

New thinner heads are sometimes ready to go after a 10 minute soak. Thicker heads will take longer, maybe 20 or 30 minutes. Older heads will free up from their original flesh hoops in a similar amount of time. The hardest part about reusing old heads is getting the very edges to soak all the way through so that they regain enough pliability to be well tucked once again.

Hope this helps!

-Lee

Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Lee. Thanks! Yes that pretty much covers things. Thanks for the links I sent Stern Tanning a email for a 26" skin. I'll post my results when I finish.

Glenn.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

From FFR428

Hi Lee. Thanks! Yes that pretty much covers things. Thanks for the links I sent Stern Tanning a email for a 26" skin. I'll post my results when I finish. Glenn.

You may want to jump up to a 30" calfskin round to do the bass drum head if you have thick flesh hoops on the bass drum. The inside diameter of the hoop is 22" and if the hoop itself is a 1/2" thick or thicker then the calfskin will just reach around but not leave you any extra skin left over to actually tuck. A 2" edge over the hoop works really good for smaller drums with thin flesh hoops made to fit into standard drum rims but most bass drum heads are tucked into thicker flesh hoops to accomodate the thickness of the bass drum hoops and gives the hoops more to grab on to. For bass drum hoops I would strongly reccomend a 3" - 3 1/2" lip for tucking.

Posted on 12 years ago

From CT Pro Percussion

You may want to jump up to a 30" calfskin round to do the bass drum head if you have thick flesh hoops on the bass drum. The inside diameter of the hoop is 22" and if the hoop itself is a 1/2" thick or thicker then the calfskin will just reach around but not leave you any extra skin left over to actually tuck. A 2" edge over the hoop works really good for smaller drums with thin flesh hoops made to fit into standard drum rims but most bass drum heads are tucked into thicker flesh hoops to accomodate the thickness of the bass drum hoops and gives the hoops more to grab on to. For bass drum hoops I would strongly reccomend a 3" - 3 1/2" lip for tucking.

Thanks! I actually sent you a email last night about the calfskins you sell. I'll followup with you on this. Good to see you on the forum!

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

From CT Pro Percussion

All very true! Your best bet is always to order an untucked skin and tuck it yourself to fit the drum you're working on so you're insured of a perfect fit with no preformed collar. It's cheaper to do your own work too. This chick agrees!

-Lee

[IMG]http://www.leevinson.com/ebay/RRR12369.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago

Lee that's a cool pic. She's a cutie too!! I'm going to get a new calfskin and try my hand at it. Thanks for your help on this.

And thank you Mark (CT Pro). I'll call you this week and plan a time/day to stop by for a calfskin. I'd like to check out those cigar wrapper drums you did if they are around and you don't mind showing them. Talk soon. :)

Glenn.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

From perclee

All very true! Your best bet is always to order an untucked skin and tuck it yourself to fit the drum you're working on so you're insured of a perfect fit with no preformed collar. It's cheaper to do your own work too. This chick agrees! -Lee[IMG]http://www.leevinson.com/ebay/RRR12369.jpg[/IMG]

I think she's a dame or broad perhaps. In those days chicks were found in henhouses. Great tucking style , though.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here