Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Trying to Identify Set

I have a old set I got around 1976 and it was used then. I've never really been able to identify it, there are no badges on it. It has the usual Japan stamps on some of the hardware. I'm hoping the mounting hardware on the kick will help identify it, I've never seen anything like it on any forums.

Thanks!

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

As far as i can see is this one made by Pearl!

regards

Christian

Posted on 8 years ago

From BobKaye41

I have a old set I got around 1976 and it was used then. I've never really been able to identify it, there are no badges on it. It has the usual Japan stamps on some of the hardware. I'm hoping the mounting hardware on the kick will help identify it, I've never seen anything like it on any forums.Thanks!

Looks very similar to the kit I just bought and recovered....I would say there is a good chance it was made by Pearl. http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=55869

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks, I'm thinking of selling them because I haven't played in years. Already sold my PAD80 and roto toms. These will be hard to part with; had them since 9th grade.

Posted on 8 years ago

You probably won't get what you think they're worth anyway so why not keep or give to a family member or relative? On a good day $250 maybe? Nice kit though.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 8 years ago

Hello BobKaye41

I would say your drum set is Hoshino made

(not Hoshino Gakki which is associated with Star drums

and is the source of much confusion for many including myself)

The Hoshino company that made your drums however,

was a lesser known company that produced stencil drum kits

parallel to the timelines of both Star and the early Pearl made drums

Later when Star left the stencil drum market and became Tama

Hoshino drums along with Pearl continued on with the stencil drum making for at least another few years

Posted on 8 years ago

I concur with Kenwood.

Meanwhile, I would like to add.....

Not sure if you understood our evaluations - that 200-250 is for the red drums only. Know that your hardware (including the Ludwig snare stand and Speed King BD pedal) will bring more money. Then, and most significantly, those appear to be A. Zildjian cymbals? Those will bring probably another 300+ in addition to your red drums. So, looking at everything there - if you were to sell it all, you are looking at more like 500-700.

If those are NOT Zildjian cymbals, they are likely JAPAN cymbals - and in that case worth more like $20 each cymbal or so.

Just another side note. Those red drums appear to be in quite good condition. Those were made on or before 1967 and those thin shells with the reinforcement rings are quite popular among those who prefer those (like myself). They tend to sound a little different, more resonant, and prefer lower tunings. Therefore, some prefer those opposed to the newer ones. It does not change the value monetarily, but some drummers consider them to be more valuable (to them....if that makes sense). If you were to sell those, I would recommend to sell those to someone here on the forum who will really know about them, will know how to tune them to get the best sound out of them, and will appreciate them much more than your average person just looking for a drumset. They are starting to come back onto the collectors' radar and the vintage MIJ segment of the vintage drum market is starting to gain traction (certainly in the last 5 years). While those remain to have a lower selling price, they are becoming more and more difficult to find.

Best Regards/Wishes,

& thanks for sharing,

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 8 years ago

I think I have that exact snare in a lot I picked up. I thought it may be a Hoshino, but this confirms it. I know on mine it doesn't exactly have bearing edges, they are flatter than you'd expect. Nice looking kit though.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Look to be a match to some Hoshino orphans I have. Would be interested in the drums and "Top Pedal" HH stand.

Thanks!

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks Again for the history Lesson. I had them on CL for 350 with all the extras but took the ad down after getting instantly irritated with the offers for 1/2 that amount and ppl wanting me to deliver them.

The hi hat and left crash are zildjians as is the funky little 12 inch on the shell. It was a 16 but it was cut down after a crack developed. The other one is a 20 inch Beverly plus I have a 16 inch Thor as well.

The hat stand is from Sears. and I have the original kick pedal as well. I'm still on the fence about selling it.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here