Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Trying to get some idea what these 50's Slingerlands are worth

Hello All,

I am new to these forums. I have a set of 50's Slingerland Radio Kings. 24" Bass drum and 14" snare. Both Radio King. Both with original calf skin heads. The bass drum has the removable spade lugs and a removable muffler for each head. Also has the original slingerland high-hat stand and bass pedal with all the scrolling. I think I have uploaded some pictures. I bought them for $100 in 1988 when I was one of the drummers at a Church in San Jose, Calif from our Bass players father. He played in a band in the 50's, but hadn't used them in years and wanted to get rid of them. I play a 1977 Slingerland Spirit 1000 5 piece kit (maple finish) at my current Church in Colorado. I am trying to decide whether to sell the 50's set or not :confused:

Posted on 15 years ago

Welcome to the Forum!!

Beautiful drums!!

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Very nice set. Can you photo the interior of the snare drum. I would say $800 is a good starting point, but with better photos and confirmation of the interiors and any defects it is hard to say.

You need to match up your finish to one in the Slingerland section. It looks like sparkling gold, but you have the drums in natural light to compare them to.

Slingerland Sparkle Finishes

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi David,

Yes, they are sparkling gold with the all brass badge. I think 1955 maybe.

Here are some pictures of the inside of the snare. Probably the first time it was ever opened. There are 2 penciled inscriptions inside, one may be a signature or model name, the other looks like "med 8" on the wooden rim that the head sits on. All of the washers inside that hold the tension lugs are stamped lightly "SLINGERLAND CHICAGO IL USA".

There are some areas on the rims where the chrome has peeled revealing the brass. The top rim has "SLINGERLAND RADIO KING" engraved and both heads have "GENUINE CALF RADIO KING ORCHESTRA DRUM".

Thanks, Gary

Posted on 15 years ago

Here's a photo of the bass pedal and hi-hat pedals...

Posted on 15 years ago

wow!!!

you have a beautiful drumset... donĀ“t sell it!!

Posted on 15 years ago

Niiiice classic drums!

I'm always curious about the history of such things as far as ownership - is this (possible) signature the name of your bass player friend's father?

Anybody famous? - Pretty cool either way - a little provenance.

Those drums are special, but the people make 'em even special-er :)

p.s. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

1 attachments
...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here