Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Trying to date a 70's era Ludwig set

Hi there, I'm new to the forum so you'll have to bear with me.

I have a Ludwig drum set, from the early seventies I

believe. I purchased the drum set in 1982 (approx). It is a six piece set...three toms mounted on the bass, single floor tom, bass and snare. The

lowest serial number of the set is 1072064. They have the B/O pointed badges (not rounded on upper right, lower left). I could get into individual sizes, but I thought by starting with the lowest serial number might be easier to determine approximate date and value.

Any help from any of you guys would be appreciated.

Ron Reed

Posted on 18 years ago

Part of the coolness of this website is that is has great resources for looking up this information. All I did was go to the front page and then click on "serial numbers" and then look under Ludwig B/O. Here's what I found:

Blue & Olive Badges

1969 765xxx - 834xxx

1970 out of sequence,unnunmered

1971 835xxx - 895xxx

1972 896xxx - 916xxx

1976 917xxx - 1290xxx

1978 xxxxxxx

1979 xxxxxxx - 2013537

Looks like your drum is from 1976.

Value depends upon what condition the drum is in ,i.e., any non-original parts, etc.. Also, the type of finish the drum has is a factor in the collectability/value....the sizes of the drums...if all the drums in a set are matched...things like that.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Cool...thanks O-lugs

RR

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi rsquared66,

I have a 1974 Ludwig drum set with the date stamped inside the bass drum. The serial numbers start with 103xxxx. I believe that your drums are from 1974. Are the interiors of the drum shells grey speckled or clear maple? My interiors are grey speckled. Hope this helps.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here