Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Trouble with 1959 Gretsch Snare

Guys, I'm restoring my 1959 Gretsch Blue Sparkle snare. Its going very well, but I'm having one issue I cant seem to get a handle on.

The bearing edges are "beveled" inwards, they arent flat.

I put each side of the snare on a flat piece of glass to see if the bearing edges are level. The top side is perfect, there is no "play" at all when pressing down on either side.

However, the bottom (snare) side rocks just a tiny bit. I've sanded the high side (keeping the bevel) but I just cant seem to get it even. There is still "play" when pressing one side.

So, what to do now? Any suggestions?

]

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, just leave it alone. Since the snare head is thinner and is naturally tuned tighter than the batter, plus muffled by the snares, it is really a non-critical area to worry about. On those old Gretsch snares, uneven and off-center snare bed cuts were actually a bigger issue.

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 13 years ago

Well, if the heads fit and you can tune it, I would leave it be. Afterall, it has been that way for 52 years...If it sounds like a Gretsch, leave it alone. If you mess with it too much, you could possibly get the edge so far out of whack Hurting that it would take a complete truing, and that could kill the value.x-mas2

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

+1 What John (JR) said...

Next time though, instead of sanding along only one side of the bearing edge, you might want to use some double sided tape to secure four sheets of sandpaper to as flat a surface as you can find - and then turn the shell evenly all around in small increments to level it off. Sanding one side only is like the Marx Bros. routine where they are trimming a guys mustache, one side at a time, and it's always uneven. Rotate the entire drum/edge gradually in small steps until it's dead-level..

Again, I agree with JR that your drum is best left alone.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks guys.

John, I cant do the rotate sanding because the edge is not flat...its beveled at steep angle. Thats why I had to do some hand sanding.

ok, I think I agree to just leave it as is. it really isnt bad, just rocks a bit.

Now, I have to to try and get it to sound decent.

Thanks for the responses.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here