Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Trixon Drums Standard or Metric Heads?

Guys, I have a question about Trixon drums, specifically their Conical "Telstar" set...

These are the drums that look like "cones" with one end smalled than the other. SO cool, but I dont know how practical.

Would these drums use standard US size heads, or are they metric? And...if they ARE metrix, where does one GET metric heads today? Are they even available anymore?

I know the screws, nuts, knobs and all that are German metric, but I'm wondering about the heads.

Many thanks for any info.

Retro

Posted on 13 years ago

the heads are easy to get hold of as they are standard sizes 20" and 16", and the kit sounds great and looks even better, any more info just ask !!

45/48 Slingerland WMP
51 Luxus WMP
56 Speedfire BDP
56 Speedfire WMP
59 Speedfire Aqua
59 Speedfire Red Sparkle
59 Deri Dixi Red Perloid
59 Luxus BDP
60 Luxus Black Silver
61 Luxus WMP
62 Telstar Blue Stripe
62 Telstar Red Croc
62 Telstar Gold Croc
62 Telstar Blue Croc
63 Luxus Gold Croc
64 Speedfire Blue Sparkle
64 Luxus Black/Gold Spots
65 Speedfire Gold Croc
66 Luxus Blue Croc
66 Vox Thunderbolt Silver Croc
67 Vox Telstar Blue Croc
67 Vox Telstar Red Sparkle
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks Diamond!

I know a fellow who is selling a "Telstar" set with no hardware at all, not even the tom mount. But the drums seem to be in good shape and just LOVE the look of the conical drums...to me they scream 1960s Satellittes A-Go Go!!

I know if I buy them I'll have a problem getting screws and bolts that fit, but hopefully I'll find some somewhere without spending a fortune.

Since I play in an instrumental 60s band, I think these would be the perfect looking drums to have on stage...and get this...we play "Telstar"!!

So..we will see. It sure would be nice to end up with these if the price isnt too high.

Posted on 13 years ago

Trixon had two incarnations----one as a traditional German drum co. making snare drums that conformed to the Dresdner standard( 360-363mm) and 330mm.The other drums were even sized metric measurements: rack toms ; 150, 200,230,240 and 330 mm.; floor toms 363,418,426 and 500mm; bass drums 500,550 and 600mm. Drums made before 1964 with the long shipform(so-called teardrop lugs) generally have these measurements. The 200,230,330 sizes pretty much match 8,9 and 13 inches. I have no experience with the 600 but it comes out fairly close to 24" so standard heads might work on it to. The others are way off.Remo made heads for all of these at one time and I have just received a load of custom heads in various types for the 363,418 500 and 550 sizes so these can be had . They are all Remo and additionally some German mfg. still make these heads.

The second incarnation was a radical shell change in both design and size. These can be distinguished by a boxy lug design with vertical ribs and grey or black plastic isolators(so-called tank lugs),however there are a few drums around with new lugs and old shells(3 ply beech with 2 ply rerings). The new shells(5 ply beech straight through) are all inch size shells and all normal inch sized heads fit them.

Trixon had basically 3 types of kits. The Luxus, which were standard round drums;The Telstar, which were conical and the Speedfire, which had mostly round drums but featuring an elliptical bass drum with two pedals. All of the drums were made in the two sizes, including the eliptical bass drum. Remo still makes the heads for these as a stock item.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks!!

As it turns out, the fellow who was selling the Telstar decided to keep them.

The Telstars go for Big Bucks these days.

Well, I'll just have to continue to work on my "Vox/Trixon Tribute Set" made from a Pearl Stencil. Almost done!!

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi Retrosonic, always keep an eye on the trixon website as they often are for sale under the market section, curently a silver telstar for sale but as you say it is costly!!!!

Calfskin totally correct as usual mate,, as a side note my telstar skins 16" and 20" bass and floor very easy to get apart from a trixon logo bass drum front skin...nearly impossible !!!!!!

45/48 Slingerland WMP
51 Luxus WMP
56 Speedfire BDP
56 Speedfire WMP
59 Speedfire Aqua
59 Speedfire Red Sparkle
59 Deri Dixi Red Perloid
59 Luxus BDP
60 Luxus Black Silver
61 Luxus WMP
62 Telstar Blue Stripe
62 Telstar Red Croc