Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Triple Hybrid Snare Drum

Hi,

This is my Triple Hybrid Snare Drum. A Project I started some time ago. Initially, I had a more than badly pitted Tama Royal Star snare drum (10 lugger) from 1978, it's the model 7075 (I've never come across a similar snare drum with that bad condition: seemed to have been located in a steam sauna for years ...). Nevertheless, the lugs, strainer and the hoops were in still quite good condition (= part 1 of the triple hybrid), so I started to look for a (wooden) drum shell, as I already had a beautiful and interesting part of wrap from a Tromsa floor tom (colour: grey slate) since some time laying around (= part 2) .

Found a stripped shell (= part 3) in another forum: a 14" x 10" Sonor Phonic tom with 9 layers of beechwood, made in the 80's. With the assistance of a mate it was cut down to a 5" deep snare shell, using that part of the shell with as little as possible holes from the previous version. Filled all holes with small pieces of a beech bar. The major hole from the previous tom holder system was filled with a fitting inlay part, made out of the rest of the shell. Finally put wrap and hardware parts on.

Placing the fixing screws was a little bit tricky: they were dedicated for use in a metal shell - and therefore much too short for this Sonor shell (thickness: 10 mm). As their thread was a rare British one and not available in small quantities (needed 20 pieces, minimum order qty: 300 to 500 pieces ...), I had to enlarge the holes for the screws from inside of the shell up to a diameter, so that the fixing screw head fitted in and already disappeared in it. Done.

This snare drum is a little beast: it weighs 3.7 kgs and sounds really pretty good.

Pics.

Before ...

[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee346/PaisteStar/Triple_Hybrid_zps8228bb7a.jpg[/IMG]

And after:

[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee346/PaisteStar/Triple_Hybrid_Snare_zps5671d0d6.jpg[/IMG]

... inside with view to the inlay and the 2 mm deep snare bed:

[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee346/PaisteStar/Triple_Hybrid_Snare_3_zps275ada6e.jpg[/IMG]

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 11 years ago

Great Filling/Patching of holes.

Tight.

Are you a finish carpenter by trade?

I would hire you.

Fantastic work!

sa

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments.

No, my profession has nothing to do with wood. But, in the beginning of my working life, I have been working as an optician (where works must be exactly up to 1/10 mm). - I should state as well that it's fun for me to be fussy. :D

With lots of time, patience and a caliper it's possible to come close to the dimensions, which are needed, to put the matching part sitting tight in the respective counterpart hole.

Ralf

Posted on 11 years ago

Beautiful job, my friend! Your attention to detail certainly paid off. You, sir are a meticulous artist!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 11 years ago

Ralf, looks excellent! I'm very impressed that you were able to re-purpose the wrap and hardware so elegantly!

How much time do you think it took to complete this project? And how does the sound compare to some of the other snares in your collection (like the Premiers, the Stars, etc?)

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks, friends, for your kind words.

@cn679: somehow the wrap has been waiting for exactly this purpose to come ...

Conc. the time spent: that's difficult to say. Overall I guess approx. 20 / 25 hours.

The Premier is in the rehearsal room, so I could just compare it with the Star KingBeat. As expected, the wooden shell have a slightly dampening against the heavy metal shell of the KingBeat.

The rimshot from the KingBeat is just killer - it cracks like hell.

In opposition the TH snare drum has a more 'enjoyable' rimshot.

The sensitivity for ghost notes is somehow equal.

Ralf

NB: I like to add: although this is a vintage drum forum, I consider this slightly younger snare drum to be 'almost vintage' (well, we discussed, when vintage ends, already in another thread).

Posted on 11 years ago

Ralf great job on this one!! Excellent work you do.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here