Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Trick for improving MIJ Bass drum tone

Recently, I was frustrated with the slightly out of tune twang of a 60's Pearl Valencia kit I use at my drum school. Those long t-rods do nothing to really create a nice even tension.

I like REMO Powerstroke series pre-muffled heads, and EVANS Emad series heads for bass drums. I use them for all my stage kits- but I am not going to buy them for every kit I have in the drum school. I was using some 60s Pearl vintage heads and they are not bad coated stock. But, I took a large piece of lightweight felt and cut it out to perfectly fit into the inner sides both of the 20" bass drum heads (front and back). I then used a simple glue stick to evenly apply glue to the inner surface of the head. I then pressed the felt circle into the back side of each of the heads- creating a inner layer. I then simply re-assembled the drum - empty- no other muffling system. The sound is fantastic.

Similar to a Powerstroke head in my opinion- better in a way- because it's a really warm sustain.The felt costs me the equivalent of 85 cents per 20" head (100yen) - It is an excellent way to make old bass drum heads sound good and MIJ bass drums as well. I am going to try it with the kits floor tom as well- will take some photos of the process when I do. Best of luck- go MIJsinger

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago

Brilliant tip!!! This could be done for many other drums (including the nicely finished but crummy-sounding) other Far East drums.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

I suspect it would work best on the bass drums, the 16 fts and the 14 fts. I don't have much problem with the MIJ 12s and 13s and it wouldn't do much for snare drums I wager. I think the felt backing works to bring out the low fundamental and makes a mellow resonance. But I do plan on trying out on a full range of heads just for interest- will post back

*Amedia Cymbals Japan

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the tip Osaka!!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 13 years ago

Curious what ply drums you've tried. I have one bass drum each, 3 and 6 ply, and I'm never happy with the results using standard Remo heads.....

Posted on 13 years ago

This one happens to be a late model Valencia- I would say 73/74 so a 6 ply shell with no re-ring.

Now I am thinking that I could make a wide felt ring and glue that like a big doughnut instead of a entire circle of felt- leaving the center open like on a Powerstroke or EMAD head. Then I could use the felt I cut out for another drum- more economical....just experimenting. But in general - it seems that gluing felt to the back is a good thing and avoids the problems of felt strips under the bearing edge which doesn't work well on 6 and 8 lug bass drums especially.

*Amedia Cymbals Japan

Posted on 13 years ago

I have wanted to experiment with an inner ring of self-sticking foam used for air conditioners.It is 1"X1"square cross-section with tape on one side.Seems like the result would be similar to removeable foam system.

Posted on 13 years ago

I think the inner foam ring is a great idea- For sure Remo and Evans do it well- but for the money - you can come up with some clever and easy alternatives.

*Amedia Cymbals Japan

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here