Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Trap Set Pioneers

As some of you probably know by now I work as a One Man Band in the blues tradition when necessary. I know that to some this seems kind of wacky because there is on old stereotype of the One Man Band playing and walking down the street with a cymbal on his head and a Bass drum on his back. Early on I didn’t take that type of performance seriously either.

Now to drumming - I have always thought the drummers of yesteryear, those guys that developed the modern drumset were the first One Man Bands, but of drums/percussion. These musicians developed the Trap set. LONG LIVE DRUMMERS!!! They were the first in my field. The first One Man Bands, and very inventive.

Here is some proof that they were viewed this way back then. Checkout this article from Ludwig & Ludwig ca.1921. Let me refer you to paragraph six. The economics probably motivated them to save on man power and down size their bands too. You might already know that Cocktail drums showed up during "times" kind of like these also.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/mtr/MTR-1921-73-24/MTR-1921-73-24-134.pdf

Enjoy.

“In fact your pedal extremities are a bit obnoxious”. – Fats Waller
Posted on 14 years ago

And God bless the man who invented the bass drum pedal.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

As I read through many pages in that archive from the 10s and 20s, it struck me that they were selling and promoting many new fangled "Mechanical Orchestras". These music machines were puting pressure on musicians just like Karaoke machines and drum machines have been doing during my life time.

It seem Drummers responded by playing multiple drums and developing the "Drum Set". The economics of, fewer musicians needed to make a living.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same", whoever said that, was so right!

“In fact your pedal extremities are a bit obnoxious”. – Fats Waller
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]An interesting ....sorta related topic... was the [COLOR="Red"]evolution of the hi-hat stand[/COLOR] ...from 'snowshoe' to 'lowboy' to 'sock cymbal' stand to, finally, what we know as the 'hat stand....

Early on.... the cymbals were mounted vertically, near the floor, and not hit with sticks at all...then mounted horizontally but STILL low near the floor, still too far away to hit with sticks (aka the 'lowboys')....then came the development of the "sock cymbal" stand.....which was the first stand intended to utilize sticks in addition to just a foot pedal.

I always loved those old contraptions...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here