Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Tower to Powertone conversion

I’ve had a few requests to see a better view of the adapter that I had made to mount a Swivomatic butt onto a Tower snare drum shell without the addition of extra holes.

As most of you Rogers fanatics are aware, the differences between the Powertone and Tower snare drums are minor. Same shell, lugs, tension rods, muffler and hoops. The differences were in the use of a less expensive strainer (Sta-tite) and a stamped steel butt for the Tower. Also, the Tower used 16-strand wires, while the Powertone had 20. Of course the Powertone was finished with a gloss gray interior, while the Tower was flat gray.

According to my 1967 price list, the Powertone #25 (wood shell and pearl wrap) retailed at $95, with the Tower #19 (wood shell and pearl wrap) at $80. A $15 difference during this time period was still quite a bit! So, why not save $15 and get the same snare drum performance?!!

I acquired my Tower for ALLOT less than a comparable Powertone (yea!! I finally found a bargain!) I could have been very happy playing this snare as-is, but really like the look of the Swivomatic strainer and butt. I already had a spare Swivo strainer and butt, so it’s an easy swap for the strainer, since the Sta-tite uses the exact same back casting and mounting holes. Of course, it’s NOT an easy swap for the butt plates. What to do?!

Off to see my friend Jeff, who owns his own metal fabricating shop. I’m a computer technician by trade and take care of all Jeff’s computers. I usually work on the barter system with Jeff, trading my time and parts for custom made pieces when required. I showed Jeff what I needed and would have been happy with a very simple adapter. But no… Jeff came up with an over-the-top adapter plate for me! The plate mounted just a bit off-kilter, but that’s OK! My only regret is that this is a one-of-a-kind adapter. No plans were drawn up and this is the only one. Then again, how much call is there for an adapter like this?!!

So, there you have it. My Tower-to-Powertone conversion… and NO extra holes! The drum is just incredibly clean and wonderful to play.

Thanks for letting me share this with all of you!

Mark

Posted on 11 years ago

A few more pictures!

Posted on 11 years ago

That's a very cool mod~! He's a good friend to have and did a great job!! I love seeing stuff like this. Well done.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Very cool mod! I like the 'no extra holes' part. Nice job converting that one.

Enjoy it,

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

I have always been a sucker for those lugs

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here