Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Top Pedal Hi-Hat (Star?)

On ebay, there is a vintage hi-hat listed as a "Top Pedal" (actual name). The seller believes it to be an early Star . I have all of the hardware for my early 70's Stars except the hi-hat so this is a very interesting item. Did Star actually make these hi-hats? If so, would anyone know the approximate date? Thank you in advance.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Brian,

I believe it's listed as a 'Top Pedal' (which is the name on the foot board), and not 'Top Part'.

Regards

Bob

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks, Bob! I just edited my post. Maybe that'll help. I appreciate your input.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

I have had those foot pedals and hi hat stands...Hurting

I can't stand them ......but.........YMMV

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Brian,

That hihat stand is very close to Star's ones. But Star hihats only had the logo 'Pro Pedal' on them, never 'Top Pedal'.

For comparison, here is my DrumMate kit with a genuine 'Pro Pedal' hihat:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24300&highlight=drummate

The shapes of both are very close to each other: same type of legs, some shape of pedal plate, but slightly different number of 'stripes' on the pedal - and the 'Top' against 'Pro' ...

I believe, this is a copy of the Star hihat pedal - not original. Perhaps from the company NewSound who started in the early 70s by copying mainly Star/ and then Tama features, also.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

From salty 1322

On ebay, there is a vintage hi-hat listed as a "Top Pedal" (actual name). The seller believes it to be an early Star . I have all of the hardware for my early 70's Stars except the hi-hat so this is a very interesting item. Did Star actually make these hi-hats? If so, would anyone know the approximate date? Thank you in advance. Brian

Brain, The "Top Pedal" stand is made by Pearl sold with the Pearl made sets under 50 name's under side of pedal would read Made in Japan..Not a Star hi-Hat stand..Did you get the T-rods and handle i sent you last week? Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks very much, everyone! I really appreciate your expertise and input. You guys always come through!

Brian

Posted on 12 years ago

There was also an identical one called a " Speed Pedal". I just sold a small kit and included a very nicely functioning Speed Pedal with it .All three came as hi hat stands and bass pedals. They can be made to be perfectly functional but are pretty entry level. Now:--- I have a Pro Pedal and a Top Pedal sitting right in front of me. They came in two incarnations ; the earlier ones had leather straps and a channel for the strap at the topend of the footboard and the later ones had a chromed steel strap looped around a rivet at the top and yes ,one may have been put with Pearl kits and one may have been put with Star kits but they were made in the same factory. Star and Pearl were pretty crude operations in those days and probably both, purchased hardware from some foundry that made this stuff.-----not dissimilar to M*******S and B****R K**G both buying their patties from a company by the name of ALL BEEF. As you said Ralf, there is a different number of bars on the top and heel plate of the footboard but otherwise the aluminum casting is identical, right down to the strengthening ribs and mold marks. The one with the steel ,strap even has the hole underneath the toe where the leather strap used to be fastened with a screw on the earlier models.

These are certainly better pedals than most of the entry level stuff made today and if the friction points are greased properly and kept greased, they work pretty good. -----however their achilles heel is just that-----the locking strap is only attached with one screw, right under the heel plate and it falls out and usually becomes stripped after only a few years. You see a lot of them around , without that strap. I usually put a machine screw right through the heel plate and peen the end so it becomes a threaded rivet and then it is there for good; decent starter pedals and the footboard won't snap in two if you accidentally step on it in the dark!

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks...great information...

Bob

Posted on 12 years ago

Wow! Thank you very much calfskin! I agree with Bob completely.You certainly have given me a valuable piece of information to be assimilated. Thank you!

Brian

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here