Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Too long in the Dawn bath?

Not the most exciting of questions, but I had 5 or 6 old Slingerland chrome bass drum lugs that were very dirty and I did the Dawn soak technique which I've used many times with great success.

Life got a little chaotic and I ended up leaving them in the tub for a week instead of the normal 24 hours.

All the grime lifted off as normal, but there is also a noticeable amount of chrome missing, but because they were so dirty before they went in, I'm not sure if they were suffering from this already, or if this can happen if they are simply left to soak for too long.

Another stupid question.... is that simply nickel underneath?

Thx,

Peter

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

if this happened in the dawn bath there should have been noticeable flakes of chrome in the solution. Hard to say, never done it for a week.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 9 years ago

As far as I know it's always nickel under the chrome. I read where you can strip the chrome with muriatic acid, but the revealed nickel "will never look antique grey". Then I read where it's stupid to strip chrome with muriatic acid, for some reason. This was all on the internet.

Anyway yes I think that's nickel under your chrome.

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

Plating is done; copper/nickel/chrome in that order. If you strip off the chrome, you'll expose the nickel, if you burn through the nickel you'll expose the copper layer etc.

I've never left a part in for a week so I have no experience with it, but it shouldn't have harmed the part. I'd polish it up and call it a day. If it looks that different from the others, use it on the back side of the drum.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

Had parts in for longer. Doesn't hurt them a bit.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here