Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

TommyP & OTHER WMP EXPERTS: YOU'RE NEEDED!

So, after years of attempting to track down a Ludwig WMP Downbeat snare drum (at a reasonable price, of course!) to complete my Downbeat kit I finally found one and purchased it this evening.Clapping Happy2

Obviously, it will be a few days before the drum arrives but I wanted to get some feedback from the "experts" regarding the WMP wrap. I happen to own several other snares in this wrap and when the drums were delivered I would normally remove all the hardware, give the drums a good cleaning with a damp cloth and a touch of Joy dishwashing liquid and follow that up with a thorough polishing with some Meguiars. I've been extremely satisfied with the results.

The WMP wrap on the bass drum & toms of the kit match perfectly. However, more than likely, the wrap on the snare drum will differ somewhat from the other three, since it wasn't part of the original kit.

Thinking worst scenario for a minuteCryBaby, let's say that when I receive the snare it turns out that the wrap has "mellowed" (some would call it "yellowed") significantly more than the wrap on my other pieces. Would it be wise to go my usual route of cleaning & polishing to see if that would do the trick OR would it make more sense to go directly to something like the Novus 3-step process in an attempt to get a better match of the wrap?

My concern lies in the fact that if I first apply the Meguiars and don't get the desired results I'd only end up removing the polish I just applied when I follow up the polishing with the Novus 3-step process. Obviously, I've seen the results of the Meguiars on my other drums but have never used the Novus products. Yet, others I know who have seem to be extremely impressed with them.

I'm probably making more of this situation than I should. However, it took me what seems like forever to get this drum and I don't want to do something STUPID at this point in the game.

As usual, any and all input would be greatly appreciated.Help2

THANKS!Clapping Happy2

Posted on 14 years ago

Hope you don't mind me butting in.

I know Tommy is pretty sharp in regards to WMP finishes. He's definitely a big WMP fan. As you can probably see from my Avatar, so am I.

IMO, if any mismatching is present, there really isn't much you can do to alter it, without literally destroying the wrap, and the value of the drum in the process. Any yellowing that is present is something that is completely through the finish, it isn't something like cigarette smoke lying on the surface of the finish.

Other than removal of hardware, polishing lightly, just to the point of maybe removing slight hazing-dulling, any very fine scratches, I would do no more than this. Ruin , or considerably alter the wrap, and you've then ruined the vintage value of this drum.

I can fully sympathize, as with my own Slingy Set, how I'd desire something like a matching late 70's-80 Artist, Spitfire, 2-1, or other to match my set. The probability is more than likely quite slim, even though my '80 set shows little sign of fade if any.

I suggest doing as little as possible with the least agressive method to get the drum looking as nice as it can, and no more than that.

Keep in mind, that if it doesn't match, you'll still have a valuable drum that is worth something, and the possibility of finding yourself a better matching drum somewhere further down the line in the future? Mark D.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,Brother i feel your pain..I have a friend who has a bass,floor tom,snare in W>M>P> the set was missing the mounted tom..It did take me almost two years[[after 30 toms] to fine a matching tom for him..I have clean that wrap with toothpaste it seem to work pretty well...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

OldSchool!...

'Tis true... I have played around with WMP using many different methods and have indeed gotten them to MATCH PERFECTLY... but as I've mentioned so many times, it can be dangerous in that one could certainly ruin their drum with one little "mistake". I'd have to say that MarkD has the right idea here! I'll also mention that I have indeed "lightened" WMP WITHOUT RUINING THE WRAP... but it is tricky, and as time has gone on I just don't recommend it as the potential for loss is just too present. Post up some pics after you receive the drum... maybe it won't be that far off! Try all your normal cleaning methods, see what happens. Now let me flip flop here and say that I found the old WFL/Ludwig WMP the easiest to get to "move" though... still... a tad tricky. Post some pics!

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

THANKS to all for the feedback to date. I do appreciate it.

Since I haven't yet received the drum, I can't tell how close a match the wrap on the snare will be to my other pieces. As stated in my post, my concern was based on a "worst case scenario" which I honestly hope doesn't come to fruition. Either way, I feel very fortunate to have finally found the drum I've needed to complete my kit at a price that I could afford.

Posted on 14 years ago

I got my last kit,wmp sight unseen and when I picked it up I thought that it was more "mellow" than I would have liked. After stripping the shells I gave it a good twice over with Novus#2 and I thought wow, they have lightened up. Maybe it was because they were in such a sorry state but I feel I could see a noticeable difference.

Posted on 14 years ago

Lucky: I fully appreciate and respect MarkD's comments regarding WMP "mellowing". However, acqaintances of mine who, like you, have used the Novus products swear that their respective shells have been "lightened up" as a result.

As I've previously stated, I've never tried the Novus products so any and all information provided by current or former users is GREATLY appreciated.Clapping Happy2

Posted on 14 years ago

Well, the WMP Downbeat snare arrived. After a little cleaning & polishing, I'm extremely happy with the results. Although the match with my other Downbeat pieces isn't "exact", it's certainly close enough for my liking.

The first two pics show the snare itself, while the last three show the rack tom with the snare.

Posted on 14 years ago

Looks like they're very close! The li'l snare is a beauty.

No deep scrubbing needed.

Nice job ;)

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice snare, matches up real nice! So, what did you use other than elbow grease?

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here