Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Tom heads for 3-ply Maple Slingerlands w/re-rings

I'm stumped. It's not like you can just try them on like a pair of pants or something. I've been using Aquarian Performance 2s on my old 6-ply Pearls for years, they last forever, but I'd prefer something a little more lively this time round. I'm pretty sold on Remo and Aquarian. I'd like to have something you can see through, the insides of the shells are so pretty, but it's not imparative. I'd like something fairly warm and a little damping, but Moongel is always an option. I'm interested in the Fiberskyn heads, but I really don't think they would look very good on my kit.

These will be for the toms only, as I already have the bass and snare heads I want.

Slingerland Zildjian Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

Greetings,

You can never go wrong with Remo clear ambassadors as a resonant, and clear emperors as a batter. The emperors allow that nice warm tone, where Moongel if needed, could be used at a minimum to create the sound most pleasing to you. I too enjoy looking through the head to see the inside of the shells while playing. I feel more in touch with my kit that way.

Peace,

GB

Posted on 16 years ago

Well, so much for the Remo's.............

The shells, at least the 9x13 tom, are just ever so slightly out of round. We're talking 2-3mm at the most, but it's just enough to keep the Remo clear Ambassadors from seating on the bottoms. The shells seem like they might be a little over-sized as well, not to mention that the metal wrap is bound to be a bit thicker that others. I've read that Remo heads are the least forgiving of this issue, so I will likely be sticking with the Aquarians. The Classic Clear from my Pearl's fit just fine, so I'll be picking up a trio of those tomorrow.

I'm still unsure of the batter heads for the toms, but I'm leaning towards the Response 2, Performance 2, or Studio-X.

Posted on 16 years ago

The Aquarian Modern Vintage are great heads-they sound even better once they work in a bit.They warm up. These are very resonant heads and the coating is the industry best.They come in two thicknesses medium and thin.They also produce the American Vintage heads that have a slightly oversize hoop to work with older American made vintage shells.

Posted on 16 years ago

Well, as a bit of an experiment, I pulled the Performance 2s off my Pearls and slapped them on the Slingies. I need to fine tune them a bit still, but overall..........not too bad. I have a set of Aquarian Classic Clears and Super 2s with x-rings on order, they should be in by the end of the week. Vintage Logos has a pretty good deal right now on eBay I may order for the bass, a 22" plain coated white Aquarian front, Super Kick 2 batter, 14" coated snare head, and custom drum key for just $70+shipping. I might order that too this week.

Posted on 16 years ago

I have a lot of Slingerland 3 ply drums...for resonant side heads I like the Attack clear heads. They sound great and are super cheap.

I recently got a pre-pack from Musicians Friend...12, 13, 16, with a coated 14" and a 22" bass drum head for $25. I use coated Remo ambassadors for the batter heads.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here