Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Tips to remove gaff tape residue...

New to the forum, tried searching for this topic, hope it hasn't been answered a 1000 times.

I own a vintage Gretsch Rosewood kit from the mid 70's along with other drums / hardware from the 60's - 70's; two 70's Tama Imperial Star snares, 6.5 chrome, 8" cherry wood; '68 Ludwig Supraphonic.

What is plaguing me was my penchant for using gaff tape as the quick 'work around' for many problems while on the road some 20-30 years ago (oops, carbon dating myself). As I give some TLC to my beloved drums, the residue is found in many places. It's on metal hoops, some on internal mufflers on my Ludwig '68 Supraphonic snare, (not on any of the wood shells thank goodness). etc.

Along with cockroaches, this residue will probably inherit the earth long after we disappear. Okay enough... now the question. Any suggestions on the best way to remove the tape residue without hurting the surface underneath?

Thanks for your help, insight and great forum.

BDrums

BDrums
Gretsch Guy
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Goo-gone, maybe. It has a slightly oily consistency to it...and it does take off adhesive residue, although it may take a couple of applications. It looks like a yellow oil.

Not to be confused with Oops or Off...which is very watery and has acetone in it...which I would never use on finished wood.

They work on wraps OK as long as you do not leave it on too long. Plus once wiped off, the wrap needs to be shined up with whatever you use to make wrap shiny again.

I would not hesitate using any of the above on chrome, however. They would all work. And the latter two are the prime choices for removing tape residue from cymbals.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

WD-40, but be sure to clean it off well and wash afterward.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Amos...how labor-intensive is the WD40...I have heard of that before but always wondered if it's a slow, painstaking process ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Spray it on a rag and set the rag on the tape residue. That keeps control of the flow instead of spraying directly. Let it sit for a while before you scrub it. Can take a while, but will soften up the glue so you can scrape it off with a wood stick and then clean with WD-40 for the rest of it.

On places other than chrome, scrub pad will help. On chrome, try crumpled aluminun foil with WD on it. No scratches.

Wash with mild soap and water and dry afterward. Don't leave the WD on once you are done with the glue removal.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for your responses, I will try it and refrain from my gaff tape addiction.

BDrums

BDrums
Gretsch Guy
Posted on 15 years ago

Uggh - I JUST ran into this yesterday, tearing my Slingerland 12 x 9 apart for a good cleaning.

It seems that a previous owner (back in the stone-age) used duct tape - stretched bearing edge to bearing edge - sticky side in - on the reso head for ring control. Opposite sides of the bearing edge have "nice" grey cement rough spots leftover from the glue and silvery backing. Probably been on there for 20 years before I got these.

I did use a rag applied, small dose of Goo Gone on each section of the gunk, letting it sit a bit - but to no avail - argh -

My concern is/was, since Goo Gone dissolves adhesive, that a small excess (as happened to me) is absorbed by the nearby plies of the edge. The middle ply has perpendicular grain in opposition to the outside plies - That center ply can absorb stuff like a sponge - hence Goo Gone is scary to me - I don't want my wrap, or ply glues to even be s l i g h t l y

effected.

Since this goop didn't budge, I chose to v e r y lightly sand just those areas with fine grit emery cloth. It did the trick - though not completely as I was avoiding getting too close to the original Slingy bearing edge.

I'd like to get it all off, but this potential for dissolving the wrong glue has me bugged.

Any advice on this for ?

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

The amount of time the Goo Gone will be on the finish of the shell will be minimal and it won't affect the plys of the wood. If you soak the whole drum in the stuff overnite, sure it will dissolve some of the glue in the plies, but why would you want to do that anyway? :D It may take a couple of applications to remove the residue, but the finish will be fine underneath the residue. Just use a cleaner afterward to get rid of the Goo Gone oily residue. A mild soapy water mix in a spray bottle should be fine, then a plain water spray mist, then wipe it dry and you're done. Goo Gone is citrus based and will not hurt the wood or finish, done it many times in the past to get rid of other peoples crazy ideas for a "permanent" repair......duct tape....Eye Ball

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the additional Goo Gone thoughts Ludwig-dude. I've had good luck with it on less "vintage" duct tape glue - at first I thought this stuff was some kind of car body putty until I looked closer (magnifying glass). I did leave the Goo Gone on for 5+ minutes and it had zero impact. - - My concern came due to the visible gap at the outer ply (see photo 2 above) - My light sanding of the gunk at least got rid of the rough bits left over from the tape's top silver coating. Since it was smooth, I just left if - for now - I wanted to PLAY D' Drummer.

After giving the tom a serious cleaning, she's back in bizzznezzz. I'll give it another Goo Gone treatment when I get a new reso head - soon enough;)

Thanks for the reassuring thoughts - always good to hear a voice of experienceYes Sir

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

The absolute best adhesive remover is made by 3M called, General Purpose Adhesive Remover. You can find it at most automotive parts stores, it's what auto paint and body guys use to remove masking glues, sticker glue, etc.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here