Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Tip for better security on older Ludwig flat base stands without the "collar"

Greetings,

I just wanted to share a trick I found on older Ludwig flat base stands that do not have the "collar" that the wing screw threads into at the base section, instead, on the older ones, the wing screw threads right against the stand. See below for my awesome MS Paint skills showing the "collar" in photo 1.

Photo 2 shows a "no collar" older stand (not rusted or brown, just reflecting off my natural wood basement ceiling). Since the wing screw tightens directly against the stand, there is always potential (and usually cause) for slippage, especially if a wayward guitar player or over exuberant dancer steps on the tripod base.

I found a way to combat that. I took out the wing screw and used a fine tip Sharpie to make a small dot where the wing screw tightens against the base pipe. I then used a 3/16" drill bit and drilled a hole in that exact spot. It's a bit tricky, but as long as you secure the base against a wall and tap the center of the Sharpie mark with an awl and hammer, so they drill bit will "grab" in the right spot it's not too difficult.

Next, I threaded the hole with a 1/4"-20 tap (same threading as the wing screw). I then put the stand in "playing position" without the wing screw and re-threaded the main (existing) hole and the new hole in the tube, just to make sure it was lined up and smooth.

Now, the wing screw threads all the way inside the tube, so the wing screw can't slip. It's much more secure this way, and just feels safer (See photos 3 and 4). This is a standard, garden variety Ludwig "Mickey Mouse" screw. It had plenty of length to thread all the way into the tube.

I hope this helps,

V

Posted on 6 years ago

Great post ! I've got a few of these lying around and it will make a worthwhile afternoon project sometime. Nice details and pics - Thanks for sharing !

Doug

Posted on 6 years ago

Great tip! Thank you -- I have a stand that has only a press fit to secure the lower tube. Another time I wish for a drill press!

I really appreciate that you pass along the drill bit size too.

Cheers!

Posted on 6 years ago

Hey! I recognize that stand. It was pounded into submission in its past. Alan, that's a 100x improvement!

Posted on 6 years ago

Right on Bill! I though you might recognize it. :)

Just a improvement I had done in the past, so thought I would pass it along.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here