Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Tinting wrap?

I picked up a set of Yamaha toms 8" 10" that I could not pass up. Problem is they were black, so I had them wrapped in white pearl. My 60 's slingerland set is white pearl, but as most of you know, matching wrap that old is challenging at the least. My vintage set has a tinge of blue in it, when you put it next to the newly wrapped toms, you can see the difference. I was wondering if I can tint the toms to give it some of the blue so it matches my older set, does anyone have any tricks they know of for this> I will try to post picks when I have a chance. Gary

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 15 years ago

Without seeing the drums or even fully understanding "a tinge of blue" the first thought that came to my mind was automotive window tint. If it is a uniform "tinge of blue" you could maybe find an automotive window tint that could closely resemble this. I am sure you would have to look around for a close match if this application is even feasible for your situation. Just a thought. Best thing about this is it would be reversible ,I would think, if it is a total flop whereas some form of paint or stain could prove to be another problem.

I would also point out from my vast home remodeling experience that sometimes the "flaws" that you can see from ten miles away are never noticed from people who do not know to look for them!! I used to go nuts on corners of molding, drywall seams, etc. etc. spending hours and money fixing stuff that would probably never be noticed from the casual glance of the unknowing. Nobody has spent more time looking closely at your drums than you probably have. You get my drift. Make sure that "tinge of blue" is a really noticeable, big deal before doing anything!!

Just my :2Cents:

have a wonderful evening

drumhack Sumo DudeEye Ball;):pguitar2

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 15 years ago

From slingerland

I picked up a set of Yamaha toms 8" 10" that I could not pass up. Problem is they were black, so I had them wrapped in white pearl. My 60 's slingerland set is white pearl, but as most of you know, matching wrap that old is challenging at the least. My vintage set has a tinge of blue in it, when you put it next to the newly wrapped toms, you can see the difference. I was wondering if I can tint the toms to give it some of the blue so it matches my older set, does anyone have any tricks they know of for this> I will try to post picks when I have a chance. Gary

Have you checked the Precision Drum web site? They have seven different varieties of white pearl, so if no good re-tinting options present themselves, you may be able to buy wrap from Precision that will be a better match. They've got one called "Blue White Pearl" that might be what you're looking for. I've had them send me free samples in the mail before buying, so you should be able to ensure a match before you commit.

Good luck!

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Section2 is right...all purveyors have more than one single WMP. There is the standard small-diamond, then there is the 'Continental" style, which is a slight off-white in a larger pattern (matches a lotta old Slingerland patterns nicely). Then there is the "Antique" which is even yellower and a medium-sized diamond pattern. Then there is the "Vintage" which is the old Ludwig WMP triangle/horizontal sorta pattern.

But those are still only 3 or 4 different shades of white. But they are different, so....sometimes they will match up well enough.

Now, this info is too late to be of help ...but....drummaker.com has 'ColorWraps'...which are basically custom-ordered colors.

Whereas the regularly available wraps are made up of maybe, what, like 16-24 standard colors...ColorWraps are available in about 300..

They are basically custom-tnted at the DelMar factory.

You pay a price for 'em, about 50-60% more per sheet than a standard Pearl or Glitter, but.....in some instances, it is well worth it. I mean, you can see the variations which are available in just one single tone...so you can really match closely to an existing older wrap.

Here is a pic of the sample sheet I have on the Pearl background. I paid for and kept this sheet just to have (it makes a cool wallhanging, too). But you can put a deposit down, have them send it to you...match the swatch to your drums, and send it back to them for a deposit return.

I use these quite a bit. Besides mathcing closer to existing, I have been able to sorta "invent" a few colors I have always wanted to see ("olive pearl" and "smoky pearl" for example; you can also have the old Gretsch Burgundy Glitter recreated very, very closely)...and also when I rewrap an entire kit, the off-tint of some usual favorites just makes the kit look more individual, vintage, and cooler.[/COLOR]

1 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Jaye, I recall that you mentioned this in a post before.

You said "Here is a pic of the sample sheet I have on the Pearl background."

In the pic, what exactly am I seeing? Is this a sheet of their transparent tint samples with a sheet of your own pearl wrap behind it?

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It is their tints over a white pearl base. So, the "white" on that sheet is the background pearl pattern...in white.

Then the individual swatches are the custom colors, each one numbered for ordering.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here