Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Tightening Badge on Acrolite

I have a keystone badge Ludwig Acrolite. The badge is loose and tends to rattle. I noticed that their is a small aluminum ring that presses the grommet to the shell. Is their a tool available that I could use to snug the ring to the shell or is their a different way to tighten the badge on my Acro?

Thanks!

....lovin' that vintage sound
Posted on 13 years ago

I have a Supra with the same problem

Posted on 13 years ago

Make your own tool with $2 worth of hardware store parts:

[img]http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/images/gromtool2.jpg[/img]

First, straighten the badge and tape its edges to the shell so it doesn't move.

Hex bolt goes from inside of drum through the grommet, 2 nylon washers go over end of bolt against the badge side of the grommet, and the nut goes on after that.

With a hex wrench, 'hold' the bolt in place while you turn/tighten the nut with a wrench. You won't need much pressure to make it tight, and over-tightening may flatten the rounded side of the grommet a bit.

Sorry, I forget the sizes on the parts, but you can simply measure the grommet hole and go a little smaller with the bolt size.

Good luck!

Bermuda

Here's a better example (without a grommet) and using one rubber washer, but I'd say stick with 2 nylons...

[img]http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/images/gromtool.jpg[/img]

Posted on 13 years ago

Agreed, make a tool. I use an 10mm machine screw with a flat head and tapered countersink the shown in the photo. It generally takes a #8 Allen. Don't make the mistake I did- buy a hex nut, not a thumbscrew. The hardware store thumbscrews are cheap and mine broke off while tightening a Slingerland badge to one of my drums. That was almost sticky. Oh, and I'm sure this is 100% self-explanitory, but don't buy a round-top truss or pan head screw as you'll need a good, gradual countersink to force the grommet open. Check the angle of your screw's countersink taper as some are more abrupt than others. I prefer a less abrupt angle.

All told, the screw was $1, the nut was 20 cents, and one plastic and one metal washer were 15 cents a pop. Not a bad price for a tool that can be used over and over.

Revival Drum Shop
Posted on 13 years ago

Awesome! Thanks so much. I will give it a try hopefully this weekendCool1

....lovin' that vintage sound
Posted on 13 years ago

Jammin' Sam charges $3 for the same "tool".

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Just put 3 badges on my recovered shells, got the parts for this little tool for under $2 at Ace hardware. when done the badges fit as though they were factory fitted. as usual this site is just a great wealth of really good help and info

Posted on 12 years ago

Great fix info! And what a cool little tool. Many thanks. :)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

I've heard that placing a ball bearing on the inside part of the grommet and striking it - not too forcefully - with a hammer works well too. Of course, the outside should be laying flat against a hard surface with some sort of buffer to prevent scratches.

I've never tried either of these methods, so pick which one you like. I think the "tool" method might give you a little more control, so as not to flatten the outside part of the grommet.

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 12 years ago

gosh darn it

i've looked around (i'm from australia) and can't find any screws/bolts that are the right size - and jammin sam says they only sell them if you buy wrap i think?

would anyone be willing to ship me the tool? i'll give you 5 dollars!

THATS OVER 200% PROFIT! LoLoLoLo

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here