Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

throw replacement for slingerland - any options besides true vintage?

this guy here had a wobbly throw, so i took it off and discovered it had dug into and splintered the wood inside the drum a little bit, i was told that often happened with these throws when someone tried to tighten them high. the tension knob didn't seem to hold right so took it apart, and when i tried to put the screw both onto the knob thread, the knob thread was stripped and wouldn't hold the screw.

i'm probably not using the correct terminology, and i admittedly have no idea what i am doing

i guess my question is this: is there any modern throw i can put on this without screwing more holes into the drum? looks like it'd cost me $80 or more to replace the throw. i'm not all that concerned with maintaining its "vintage" status (and i apologize for the blasphemy here). i bought it for $50 and just wanna play it.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

See if this is of help to you. ? http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/zoomatic_strainer_repair.html

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

If the wood is spintered behind the throwoff, the drum was probably dropped on the throwoff.

Whether using a matching throw or something else, that area needs to be repaired, glued and clamped etc. to stabilize the shell in that area.

Posted on 9 years ago

What is stripped? The knob rod thread or the nut in the drum? The fact that it's a left handed thread complicates matters, but it's still a standard thread.

Posted on 9 years ago

From the pic it appears that the entire throw is hanging from the shell..Eg the mounting screw thread.. Is this what you mean??

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

So, if it's the mounting screws put a plate behind it inside the drum with holes for the mounting and the adjusting screw thingamabob whatsis...

Posted on 9 years ago

So...another case of a new member posing a question, where responses are given, yet no reply from the new member! Maybe I'm just being too sensitive!

Anyway, another option that doesn't require additional holes, but pricey, is here...http://www.dwsnare.com/html/Slingerland_drums.html

-Mark

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here