Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Throw-off

Anyone care to explain to someone who`s never had a real or decent snare drum, what exactly is going on with this snare system ?? The inside bars,..the train tracks,..the knobs ??? What does all this stuff do ??

They are SONOR signature ebonys` and I have no clue !!

1 attachments
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Looks like a variation of the Ludwig SuperSensative snare system. I would guess that the "railroad tracks" are there to eliminate any minimal changes in the snare tension caused by (possible?) flexing of the shell and hoops. Looks really over-engineered, but from an engineering prospective...I like it.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 13 years ago

Tama Imperialstar,..Ludwig Supersensitive,...SONOR Signuature Series,..and a couple others have these big bulky contraptions under the snare,...I was think`n it`s what it takes to stop the ."buzzing", but I`ve never seen or held a drum like these. Note the Sigs don`t have lnternal muffling.

There`s got to be a method to the maddness and not just a engineering race !!

Posted on 13 years ago

Everything Sonor does is over-engineered! However, Tama used a setup similar to this on the first generation mid-70's King Beat snare drum. By about 1978, the setup was designed a bit more simple. I'm in the process right now of detailing my 1978-79 King Beat. The mechanism works well and the drum sounds great, too!

Posted on 13 years ago

The idea was more control over the wires thus a better sound. Rogers Dynasonics have one also.

Not only can you tighten it up against the head but you can tension the wires separately as a whole and some brands individually.

Cheers,BigE

Posted on 13 years ago

So it`s like tune`n keys for a guitar only for snare wires ?

Posted on 13 years ago

many drum companies in addition to those mentioned have had snare systems that were tuneable. it is something that is very desirable in an orchestra drum but not that valuable for other applications. orchestra drums need to be tuned and at the ready , sometimes following very ,very quiet parts of a composition and they can't make any noise, when they are not supposed to. the option of throwing the snares off and back on when needed is not always there, so the snares must be critically tuned in order to avoid harmonic vibration.this also helps the playability of the instrument ,especially during pianissimo. Unevenly tuned wires can buzz and hum like crazy and almost all wires that are stretched from one side ,hanging from a butt end get unevenly stretched pretty fast. next best is parallel drop snares that remain evenly stretched and can be silently engaged.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here