Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Throw-off needed for a '20s-'30s Ludwig

Hey all,

I'm new here but this forum looks like the best place to discuss vintage drums. I'm glad I can be a member here.

The latest vintage-issue I have to deal with is the following.

Just today I have received the '20s-'30s 5x14" Ludwig snare I bought a short while ago. Brass shell, 8 x tube lugs. The shell was 'acid-washed' by someone at some point so the drum looks pretty 'rustic' in a way but I dig this 'custom' finish. I will use this drum on gigs and recordings so I don't want to turn it into a museum-piece. Though I'd like to replace the non-original (R-Class) throw with something more appropriate. Not that the R-class is not working great, it just does not belong to this drum, imo. There are no extra holes on the shell (sigh..) and the throw goes on with 2 bolts, drilled vertically, the hole spacing is 4 cm / 1.57".

I'm thinking that maybe a '20s-'30s Pioneer throw could have been originally mounted on this drum but anything similar vintage Luddy or Leedy throw would be great. Any ideas/hints will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot & peace,

JoGa

1 attachments
I am the best in a mediocre way.

www.myspace.com/meyoushe
www.myspace.com/tazmanordog
Posted on 16 years ago

a couple of years ago i picked up a late 20's ludwig nickel over brass 8 lug 5x14. it also had a throw off that was inop. i searched and searched and found that a replacement was more than what i payed for the drum if i could find one. i waited for about a year and finally took some action. i did not drill the shell. i took a 70's acrolite and took the p-85 strainer from it. i used a thin peice of wood(i know it sounds lame) and made a bracket. one hole for the original throwoff mount and one hole for the acrolite mount. of course the other hole for the acrolite strainer bolted in the original hole for the 20's snare. everything works great. since i had downed my acrolite, i also used its hoops and screws on the older snare. bolts right up and once again nothing modified on the original drum. its one of my favs. i do think that the p85 kinda stand out on it and wished that i had a p83 that at least looked more vintage. but i was just tired of having that sweet old snare sit around not being played. just something to consider.

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks a lot for the hints. As a matter of fact I may do something similar here. Someone is just checking for me if the Ludwig Downbeat throw-off will fit the holes. Though if I can't fetch anything that works the R-class will stay on. The drum is absolutely playable right now and replacing the strainer would just enhance the vintage-look.

Thanks again!

Peace, Joga

Quoted post

a couple of years ago i picked up a late 20's ludwig nickel over brass 8 lug 5x14. it also had a throw off that was inop. i searched and searched and found that a replacement was more than what i payed for the drum if i could find one. i waited for about a year and finally took some action. i did not drill the shell. i took a 70's acrolite and took the p-85 strainer from it. i used a thin peice of wood(i know it sounds lame) and made a bracket. one hole for the original throwoff mount and one hole for the acrolite mount. of course the other hole for the acrolite strainer bolted in the original hole for the 20's snare. everything works great. since i had downed my acrolite, i also used its hoops and screws on the older snare. bolts right up and once again nothing modified on the original drum. its one of my favs. i do think that the p85 kinda stand out on it and wished that i had a p83 that at least looked more vintage. but i was just tired of having that sweet old snare sit around not being played. just something to consider.

www.myspace.com/meyoushe
Posted on 16 years ago

JoGa a bit off topic but I was considering the R-Class throw for a 14x7 cedar shell I'm putting together. I've heard it's very heavy. How do you like it, and will you hang onto it?

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

JoGa a bit off topic but I was considering the R-Class throw for a 14x7 cedar shell I'm putting together. I've heard it's very heavy. How do you like it, and will you hang onto it?

Hi there,

The R-Class works smooth, it's really a great throw-off. It's pretty heavy, that's a fact, so I wouldn't recommend putting it on very light shells where additional weight may be an issue. Looks like I will put a '60s P-83 on the old Luddy (with an add-on plate or something..) so the R-Class will be available for sale. I'm in Hungary, Europe but can ship smaller items like this overseas. Let's talk when the R-Class is off the shell.

Peace, JoGa

www.myspace.com/meyoushe
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here