Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

This One Might Draw Some Interest

Could be a fun one to watch. I've already been outbid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234275873197?hash=item368bee21ad:g:f2UAAOSwedNhiESU

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Almost every lug is cracked. If one were to spend the $35 per lug for the JLP Creations remakes, then if there are what, 52 lugs on that kit?...16 of them on the bass drum, 8 on the snare, 16 on the FT and 12 on the tom tom it would add up to around $1750.00 just to replace the cracked lugs. I suppose if the cracked lugs don't bug the buyer then it's a non issue. But, I'd have to love the kit enough to be willing to get it in useable condition and those original lugs would have to be put in a box and replaced by the JLP Creations ones. Will it be worth doing that plus whatever it ends up selling for? Not to me. But it is a beautiful looking and very rare kit!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

I know this seller and I fondled those drums just last Tuesday

I bought a scarred up, Gretsch round badge shell pack, in avocado satin flame from him (pictured)

And while there he showed me the Rogers kit

and told me he planned to put them on the bay.

I have bought some really cool old random stuff at great prices

and he also threw in some awesome cookies as well

This seller is a nice guy and Totally does not need the bread

In fact I know a good portion of the proceeds for this auction

will end up donated to Shriners hospital. as he also donated half of what I gave him for the Gretsch drums, to them already.

I did not pay too much attention to the lugs, but he did mention they were all cracked on the snare drum.

I thought he mentioned the bass and tom lugs were okay but maybe not.

The drums are really beautiful, the only thing I noticed that was odd

was the script logo on the mounted tom and eagle badges on all the others

Posted on 2 years ago

Even if some of the lugs were in decent shape, then I'd still want to replace them all. Those original ones are just not reliable for use. I suppose if it was just going to be for a kit meant for display, then it would be a different story. And if the proceeds are going to be donated to charity, then that makes it a different story, as well.

I really do like that wrap, though!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

A purchase like this would tend to end up as a display item no matter what. How many of us would have much comfort taking an historical piece like that to a gig? If you're playing it at home, the lugs probably would survive for some time. If you are buying new lugs, that is a serious investment and one you'd want to make very soon before Jim retires and no one else moves up to take over the reproduction effort.

Still, when was the last time any of us saw a Rogers mardi gras 20, 12, 14 and matching snare for sale? It's for the serious collectors. Very cool color. I wish I could get Steve Maxwell to sell me some of his repro mardi gras. Alas, wishful thinking.

Posted on 2 years ago

From Dan Boucher

A purchase like this would tend to end up as a display item no matter what. How many of us would have much comfort taking an historical piece like that to a gig? If you're playing it at home, the lugs probably would survive for some time. If you are buying new lugs, that is a serious investment and one you'd want to make very soon before Jim retires and no one else moves up to take over the reproduction effort. Still, when was the last time any of us saw a Rogers mardi gras 20, 12, 14 and matching snare for sale? It's for the serious collectors. Very cool color. I wish I could get Steve Maxwell to sell me some of his repro mardi gras. Alas, wishful thinking.

Dan!

Jim Petty has retired .. in a sense .. as he passed away recently. I had many conversations/dealings with him over the years. We always got on well. He was an excellent guy, and one of, if not the first, to make QUALITY Rogers replacement parts … not to mention Ludwig, Slingerland, and Gretsch. Quality workmanship indeed!

Tommyp

Posted on 2 years ago

From Tommyp

Dan!Jim Petty has retired .. in a sense .. as he passed away recently. I had many conversations/dealings with him over the years. We always got on well. He was an excellent guy, and one of, if not the first, to make QUALITY Rogers replacement parts … not to mention Ludwig, Slingerland, and Gretsch. Quality workmanship indeed!Tommyp

Tommyp!

I've been aware of Jim's passing for some time now, and, like you, Jim and I had a great relationship! While a bit off-topic to this thread, I'm quite surprised that there is no mention whatsoever on his website. In fact, the site acts as if it's alive and well and that you can place orders.

In regards to his Rogers B&B lugs, Jim did tell me that he was not concerned with offering any more lugs, simply due to the "new" Rogers USA lugs being offered. Even at those reduced prices vs JP2, it would still be quite a bit of money to replace all the lugs on this kit. That being said, there are many players and collectors out there who wouldn't bat an eye at the cost to replace them all and make this beautiful kit gig worthy!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

From Tommyp

Dan!Jim Petty has retired .. in a sense .. as he passed away recently. I had many conversations/dealings with him over the years. We always got on well. He was an excellent guy, and one of, if not the first, to make QUALITY Rogers replacement parts … not to mention Ludwig, Slingerland, and Gretsch. Quality workmanship indeed!Tommyp

Wow, sad news Tommy. Thanks for letting us know. He produced some great products. I've bought several sets of the 21 inch legs for 14x14 Rogers floor toms over the years. The chrome work was top notch. And speaking of notches, he added one to be sure nobody was trying to pass them off as originals. Nice guy and he will be very much missed by this community.

Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

Tommyp!I've been aware of Jim's passing for some time now, and, like you, Jim and I had a great relationship! While a bit off-topic to this thread, I'm quite surprised that there is no mention whatsoever on his website. In fact, the site acts as if it's alive and well and that you can place orders. In regards to his Rogers B&B lugs, Jim did tell me that he was not concerned with offering any more lugs, simply due to the "new" Rogers USA lugs being offered. Even at those reduced prices vs JP2, it would still be quite a bit of money to replace all the lugs on this kit. That being said, there are many players and collectors out there who wouldn't bat an eye at the cost to replace them all and make this beautiful kit gig worthy!-Mark

Do you think others will operate the supply line at least until all items that have been built are sold?

Posted on 2 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Do you think others will operate the supply line at least until all items that have been built are sold?

Hi Dan!

Honestly, no one seems to know what is happening with Jim's website and inventory. Jim never really updated his website to reflect that most of what was shown was never really in stock. As an example, the site shows the Slingerland push-buttons for the old style leg mounts. I sent a check to Jim and it was one delay after another. After more than 3 months off this, Jim sent me a refund without an explanation. It became painfully obvious to me that Jim wasn't concerned about making more parts. Understandable, given the cost to do this! Still, it would have been nice if Jim would have updated his site. A really moot point now! And, yes, Jim will be missed!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here