Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

This may be a dumb Rogers question but...........

I have a Powertone snare with a Dayton sticker serial # 18237 and and Big R Dynasonic serial # D 955124 and these look a lot alike. Lugs look identical and the mufflers, strainers, and butts are all real close. The main difference from what I can see, outside of the snare frame, snare bridge and bottom rim, is that the Dynasonic shell has 5 lines and the Powertone is smooth. Were they both made around the same time? Thanks.

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi -I am no Rogers expert, but from what I can gather from the Rogers book the Dyna-sonic was introduced in '62 and the Powertone was manufactured from '64-'70. Unless your Dyna-sonic was made after 1970, then your two drums could have been made around the same time. Does anyone know if these drums can be reliably dated using the serial numbers provided in the original message?

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

The Powertone is 1968.

The Dynasonic is aprox. 1980-82.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks, so it appears that Rogers stuck with many of the same snare parts for a long time?

P-man: Are post 1980 Dynasonics still good snares?

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 14 years ago

Basic lug designs, throw offs, etc had the same look, but there were subtle differences.

Posted on 14 years ago

Powerone was 8 lug

Dyansonic was 10 lug

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here