Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

This is the "Did You Ever Notice" thread.................

Without sounding like a bad comedian, there are a lot of things with vintage drums (and used drums in general) that make you say "Why is it that...........?" or "Did you ever notice that.................?" or "How Come It's Always.......................?".

Here's a thread to share common observations, frustrations, humor etc. about used/vintage drums. I'll start:

Why is it, that on seemingly every MIJ kit I have ever seen, that there are always water stains on the interior of the bass drum and/or floor tom?

How come that on many used kits we come across, vital pieces of the kit are constantly missing? Like on vintage kits with the straight, solid rod spurs. So many times they are missing! How do you misplace the spurs? You can't play the bass drum without them! Or, on more modern bass drums with the rotating fold out spurs, the threaded rubber foot that either hides or exposes the spike is notoriously missing. Who is losing this stuff? Another item that is perpetually missing is the cymbal L-arm!

Did you ever notice that the more rare a wrap is, the more likely the bass drum hoop inlay is missing?

Posted on 7 years ago

In Craigslist or Kijiji ads:

Cymbals spelled symbols

Bass spelled base

Pedal spelled petal

Am I the only one with this pet peeve?

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 7 years ago

From grantro

In Craigslist or Kijiji ads:Cymbals spelled symbolsBass spelled basePedal spelled petalAm I the only one with this pet peeve?Cheers

The good thing about that is the person selling the drums likely has no idea of the value. Not that you should take advantage of the ignorant, but don't haggle if you really don't need to.

Zach

Currently looking for a 3-ply 24x14 Ludwig in champagne sparkle w/rail consolette and cymbal mount!
Posted on 7 years ago

I can see spurs being lost. Some would just fall out if not tight enough. You play a show, one falls, you forget it. Spur lost. Same with the modern ones. Same with the L-arm, a lot of people may not have used them so they get tossed aside. Kit gets sold, years later it see's a trash can. As far as water stains, I personally haven't encountered too many on the MIJ kits I've come across. Sadly a lot of people don't care about their belongings. Be it a drum set,car,house,etc... so they can care less if something is missing or damaged. Far as they care they can get duct tape and use a long nail if necessary ( I'm sure we've seen worse,lol )

I do get a little annoyed when I read some of the things people write in ads, but can also forgive a little if they've never before owned or sold a drum set and really don't know the proper spelling. At least they give it an honest try.

What gets me is when people decide they are craftsman and just destroy drums. Gets me on the MIJ's, a lot more on higher end drums. That's when I honestly get sad.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

Here's some more:

-Whenever you acquire a used hi-hat stand, the upper pull rod is ALWAYS bent!

-Why is that most memory locks, even when all the way loosened, still need to be hit with a hammer in order to move on the shaft?

Posted on 7 years ago

MIJ kits have water stains inside because they didn't cost as much and you felt comfortable about leaving them out in the rain.

Are you saying that you've never had to play a house kit that didn't have spurs. You don't know what you're missing.

Posted on 7 years ago

PS - Fun post!

Posted on 7 years ago

I'll take a crack at this just for fun ;)--

Why is it that, people sell used beginner drum kits at brand new prices ?

How come, some drum manufacturers make their new version of vintage parts, yet don't fit the original parts they were manufactured for ? I've noticed this with Ludwig and their T-wing nut screws not fitting their vintage counterparts. The threading is different ! Maybe it's not a huge issue, but is totally annoying ! LOL !

Posted on 7 years ago

"base" for "bass" is not incorrect, for as far as I know. It used to be called base back in the days, because it was the base of the set.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 7 years ago

"Bonham set up" ........... 24-13-16-18 with Zildjian Cymbals.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here