Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Think Its an "Old" Slingerland...

Hello,

This is my first time on any forum, so be gentle.

I have adrum set I picked up a few years ago and have been storing.

1. Drum Shell Material - Wood, looks like it is sheets of plywood, not single piece of steam bent wood. It has reinforcement rings on the inside at the top and bottom of each of the 5 pieces (see stand along Tom below).

2. Drum Finish - Gold Metallic Sparkle, the natural color has faded and the only places that still have the "original" color are under fascets or the rim rings.

3. Drum Badge - Black and Brass Chicago Oval Badge. 1956-1959 on the snare and the bass.

4. Interior Finish - Natural wood

5. As for defects... the snare was drilled at some point to put a newer attachment on the back (see the picture). The large stand alone Tom has extra holes under the 3 leg bracets (not sure if that was part of the original or not. The large Tom also has lost the bottom support rinng on the inside (there are glue marks where it used to be). None of the drums have the bottom rim ring except for the snare. I'm sure none of the skins are originals. Hehe Most of the metal parts are rusted or show signs of rust. The bass legs are missing. There are stamps on the inside of the drums with dates (most are hard to read). Some say 1961 and I think NOV. The finish is in good shape (plywood is not seperating), but discoloration has occurred due to time and/or sun.

I'll send some pictures to the forum master to attach. Thanks.

I'd like to know how old it is and an eductaed guess on what it may be worth.

3 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Looks like a VERY faded gold sparkle Slingerland set. The snare may be a solid maple shell. In that shape, with the extra holes, it might get $150-200...much less if it's a 3 ply. The floor tom looks to have after market leg mounts. It probably had the push button types, and the original owner got frustrated with them and add the import ones. The second rail and mounted tom was probably added later. The set is probably worth $2-300. Although, in most cases, it's nice to keep stuff together, in original condition, this set would be a good case for re-wrapping, if you really like them, or "parting out" if you want to sell them.

Posted on 18 years ago

Just wanted to say thank you. I've got an offer for $100 and I think I'll take it. I just wanted to make sure they weren't worth much more than that. Thanks Rich K. for the quick response to my post.

Posted on 18 years ago

I think you could get a bit more for them...

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here