Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

These look at lot like Ringo's Premier's (I think)

Hi,

The August edition of Uncut magazine had a picture of David Bowie performing at the Beckenham Free Festival (1969). It looks as though there are three kits on the stage. The one in the middle -- though the pic is black and white--look a lot like Ringo's old Premiers, down to the 4" snare.

I found this online copy of the pic at:

http://flashbak.com/david-bowie-the-beckenham-years-in-photos-51142/

What do you think?

cheers.

Posted on 7 years ago

Ringo's kit was not likely to have been an unusual one in England. Most of the drummers probably used Premier in the early days of rock (for cost reasons if nothing else). All those sets are Premier and it's not too surprising. The big acts seemed to have moved to using a lot of Ludwigs during that era though. I don't think Bowie was all that big in 1969, but my memory may be inaccurate on that.

I had that set many years ago (90's) and one other Premier set. They were fine, but I found them considerably let rugged than the US brands and you had to have the correct drum key because the tension rods were slotted. Great finishes available and that was one of them.

Posted on 7 years ago

From Dan Boucher

I had that set many years ago (90's) and one other Premier set. They were fine, but I found them considerably let rugged than the US brands and you had to have the correct drum key because the tension rods were slotted. Great finishes available and that was one of them.

You're dead to rights on Bowie in 1969. Space Oddity was about it if memory serves. And it came out in LATE 69. Plus it took forever to become a gold record - only after he became famous.

As for the Premier Drum Kits (my practice kit is a Premier), define less rugged. Do you mean the shells, wraps, hardware, chrome etc or they just don't take the abuse of being moved around. I don't have a strong opinion there since mine just sits in one place, just curious.

As for the slotted key for my Premier 2000 snare drum, don't have one and have never needed one. I call mine a screw driver .

Pete

Posted on 7 years ago

A screwdriver does work Pete. No question about it. The leverage is a bit better with a key and it's a lot more convenient to leave on the drum during a gig.

As to rugged, they have a rather weak attachment of the lugs to the shells - small cross-head screws that are easy to strip if you are not very careful and a slotted washer that is quite thin. The tom holder isn't very strong (more like what you'd find on an MIJ set), the single wing on the bass drum rods is a typically British concession to cost reduction and is less convenient for applying tension (they tend to break off too). I think they are cast as opposed to steel. We say the negative results of cast parts when CBS moved to cast collets on the Rogers drums.

Construction issues that were typical of their cars in that era show up too, where there seems to have been a lower factor of safety employed. At the time, they appear to have had a differing view of manufacturing things and that may simply been the result of a less robust economy. Their auto industry basically imploded and was mostly taken over by continental makes due to quality issues.

One thing I recall is that they sound quite good and are relatively light and easy to haul around, which is probably a result of the shell construction.

Just some observations from a limited period of ownership. But that is also why the ownership didn't last.

In general, I ended up preferring the Rogers line from 64 to about 1970. Pretty rugged overall and they have a nice look and great sound. The one thing they had issues with, but is correctable, is the edges. They also had some wraps that gave out too easily. But I've never had anything let go during playing and they are easy to dissemble and reassemble for cleaning and so forth without parts breaking along the way.

Posted on 7 years ago

A penny can also be used in place of a slotted key on Premier lug screws. There's always a penny around somewhere

Posted on 7 years ago

From Dan Boucher

One thing I recall is that they sound quite good and are relatively light and easy to haul around, which is probably a result of the shell construction. Just some observations from a limited period of ownership. But that is also why the ownership didn't last.

Given what I know about the British Economy of, say, 1970 and it's lead up to the late 70s blight and punk movement (I'm a history teacher), I'm sure you're right, especially about the cast parts. I've already had to source a few for my 1975 2000 snare drum.

But DANG that snare drum sounds great! And my 1990 XPK set sounds pretty sweet as well, though I actually play on a Pearl Export. I don't know that I'd give either one the nod for the sound and I'll have to watch durability.

Regards,

Pete

Posted on 7 years ago

the kit in the photo is early 60s, a period of rising economic growth in Britain. The fact that so many of these kits have survived is testament to their durability. I have generally found Premier to be of a very high standard from this period right through to the mid 70s. Probably their biggest drawback today is the pre-international sizes pre-1968. Not an insurmountable problem given the current availability through Remo.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 7 years ago

I agree, most likely coincidence. I just thought with the 4" Royal Ace, it was more coincidence than not. Since tripped across a reference to the wrap on Ringo's snare running from upper left to lower right. So no go. Thanks.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here