Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

These drums are rocking!

Hi all, I put my drums on a flat surface and they start rocking. (pun intended) These are the old WFL shells and I guess the attention to bearing edges was not scrutinized the way it is nowadays. I'm not having any problem tuning these drums and they sound great, but could they sound better if the edges were flat? Overall the edges are great, but it's that old Ludwig construction where the drum comes together at the seam it tends to pop up slightly in that spot. Should I sand these flat? At what point do we say enough is enough when restoring old shells? I'm all for getting rid of the rust and that's about as far as I like to take it. I don't know if I should do anything to the shell itself. Any thoughts on the subject? Thanks

Posted on 9 years ago

It's gotta sound better, be easier to tune. Just has to. I'm in the same boat with some Ludwig shells and plan on doing it.

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

If they sound great then whats the problem? Could they sound better? maybe? But if you cut the bearing edges they won't sound the way they do now. Leave them factory.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

The 'Ludwig bump' is normal and you don't have to sand it down. The edges is a different story and can make the difference between a good sounding set and a great sounding one. Having edges redone is cheap. Precision charges something $15 per edge and the work makes a -huge- difference in how the drums tune and sound. If the edges are uneven, it's worth your while to have them professionally redone. You'll be glad you did and... you'll hear the difference.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

Some good points, however a "bump" or high-point in the edge of the shell is an aberration plain and simple. It's nowhere on the list of how to make a good drum shell. :)

No need to recut the edges if they're fine; just round em over by hand to original profile after evening out the shell. The time I did do it, the head practically sucked down onto the shell like there was a vacuum in there, and tuning range from low to high with no weirdness became possible.

4 pieces of 220 grit glued to a piece of glass. Make sure you're sanding down the bump and not just increasing the existing bias. Do this by frequently checking, on the wobble spot...so to speak. :)

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

Mitch - If he tries to sand the bump level with the rest of the shell, he's going to blow right through the top ply. That bump doesn't affect anything except the drummers visual aesthetics.

Level and round over, fine... sanding down the bump... not needed.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

If your drums are rockin' don't come knockin'!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 9 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Mitch - If he tries to sand the bump level with the rest of the shell, he's going to blow right through the top ply.

Ah, I think you're thinking of the other bump. :)

Given the OP's statement "I put my drums on a flat surface and they start rocking", I think he's talking about the bump that makes the head wobble when placed un-tightened on the shell, not the bump that would stop the shell rolling down a slight incline.

While the bump you're referring to is indeed only visual aesthetics, a high point on the bearing edge will make the drum do funny things throughout the tuning range...well not very funny at all after a while trying to tune the darn thing...:)

[edit] I did some googling and this is referred to as "leveling" the shell. When you level the edges on a flat surface like a sheet of glass with sandpaper glued to it.

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

I have been a little confused about what bump were talking about, a pic or two would help.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

And I have found for "Levelling the Shell".. Run right around the target edge with a coloured crayon before you start.. and again during inspections You can then keep a close eye on your sanding progress...

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago