Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

The Steel Wool Question

Felt slightly compelled to pose this question directly. Through the articles I've seen both people say to use steel wool, and others very much opposed. I've personally used 0000 grade steel wool to clean and have never had any issues. No scratches, none of that. So I'm wondering why there is such and avid " DO NOT " when it comes to steel wool. Has anyone had an instance where it was used, and their hardware became ruined? Is this one of those " I heard " scenarios? Perhaps like most things, it has It's proper time and place. Would love to hear back from everyone, and if you have photos for one way or the other feel free to share.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

I used to use steel wool on my 60's MIJ Stuart drums when I was a kid.

Steel wool gets the gunk off but it also leaves millions of tiny scratches.

If you look at new chrome it's like glass. Chrome that has had steel wool used on it has a shiny appearance but it doesn't have that mirror like quality.

Also if the chrome is pitted with rust, it will flake off the chrome around the pits and make it even worse.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 8 years ago

Agree with clubdate64 it's the tiny scratches, though I too have used it on MIJ kits. Obviously for anything you're going to keep it's your call [as in "one" or the general "you"], but if it's an American vintage kit for sale you might have people coming over with a magnifying glass...:)

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

Not sure why. I've used 0000 grade steel wool to remove rust on rims with no problem. I've used aluminum foil with no problem as well.

I wouldn't use it to polish anything with a mirror-like finish (chrome wrap, paint, etc).

Posted on 8 years ago

Personally I try and avoid using it on chrome covered items, for the reasons mentioned above. But I feel with the 0000 It hasn't left any, even tiny scratches. Then again I'm also not putting my full body into it when I've used it. I gingerly press down, enough to remove the surface gunk, then will use whatever is best ( wd-40,etc... ) to really get in and get the finer gunk.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

One thing to consider, in light of your description of how you use steel wool, is that maybe the warning is a sort of catch-all, since who knows how others will use it, as in too aggressively...so it's like "best just to stay away from that" kind of deal...?

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

Mitch that would make sense. As they say " some things are best left to professionals " Not calling myself a professional by any means. But yes I do agree, and I can easily see people going to town like animals and just butchering what they are working on. Might not be a bad idea to make a short video showing the best way to use finer grade steel wool without causing serious damage to what is being worked on.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

No matter which grade of steel wool you use, you ARE scratching the chrome. In case of 0000 fine grade, whilst you may not see the minute scratches with the naked eye, they are there. What should be obvious though is a visible dullness compared to the original surface. If you do an A-B on a scrap section of chrome tube you should see this.

You can easily & accidently go right through some of the thin "MIJ" style chrome with steel wool.. Thank God for decent Premier/Slingerland plating...

The best options are "Brass or Bronze" fine wool or plain old aluminium foil, both of which are softer than chrome and will not scratch it. They should be used wet with either water, "Coke" or a mild acid. It will form a sludge which should be frequently wiped off with clean dry cloth. Note that wet aluminium foil has the added advantage of creating a chemical reaction that will assist in neutralizing the rust.

You should then finish with some metal polish or car wax to slow down the (inevitable) return of the "Rust that never sleeps"

IMO..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 8 years ago

I've never had the dullness after using steel wool. I've actually had the complete opposite. Might need to take a before and after photo with a test tube, and really get in there with the camera. I'm not doubting anyone, I've just never personally had those experiences.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Ya, I would like to see a photo of two lugs, one with the steel wool used on it and one without. I do believe steel wool will cause micro scratches but is it enough to worry about, when you buy a kit do you get out a magnifying glass and check the chrome for micro scratches? Heck seems like so many kits/snares are purchased over the internet so how do you check then? It all comes down the to person doing the work I guess and how picky they are.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here