Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

The Start of the Camco Oaklawn era 10pc. Prog Rock Set

Here is the majority of the 10 piece prog rock or acid jazz shells that are currently being restored by Ryan VonR. When completed there will be 2 bass drums, 4 floor toms, 5 rack toms and 3 snare drums. Only 10 pieces will be used in the set-up which is designed for traditional grip and to switch out toms and snare drums for Jazz or Rock. The orphans purchased for this kit only had to be in good salvageable condition without any major mods, (only 2 out of 14 Oaklawn shells has a white painted interior) and had to be up for sale for at least a few days falling into the nobody wants it category. The only shell that will be used that isn't a Camco is the 7x10" that Precision drum co. built especially for this set and has the exact dimensions of an Oaklawn type shell, including being 9 13/16" in diameter, Note( An Oaklawn 8x12" is roughly 11 13/16" and a 13 is actually closer to the 12 3/4" to 12 13/16" range.)

Posted on 11 years ago

Holy smokes Sling,... you already have some pictures to share with us ?!

What finish were you thinking of ?

Posted on 11 years ago

Here are some pictures that I have.... A nice little Oaklawn family reunion before the rework and restore. They all need just enough work to make them great candidates for a build. Now that Slingalud has started a thread, I will have to post some progress pictures as we go. There are a couple pics of the shells all laid out, as well as one close up of the two bass drums with no re-rings. It may be a controversial topic with the Camco lovers, but I have absolutely NO reason to believe that these drums were anything but original, and the shell makeup and edges are identical. This is going to be an awesome kit that I will be proud to have been a part of.

3 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

From Ryan vonR.

Here are some pictures that I have.... A nice little Oaklawn family reunion before the rework and restore. They all need just enough work to make them great candidates for a build. Now that Slingalud has started a thread, I will have to post some progress pictures as we go. There are a couple pics of the shells all laid out, as well as one close up of the two bass drums with no re-rings. It may be a controversial topic with the Camco lovers, but I have absolutely NO reason to believe that these drums were anything but original, and the shell makeup and edges are identical. This is going to be an awesome kit that I will be proud to have been a part of.

Well it's no longer a controversy with the 3rd 24", 5 ply Jasper shelled bass drum showing up on the scene. Also the Oaklawn era set with the non re-ringed bass drum was ordered new from the factory in 1970 by a recording artist. Here it is. Also it should be noted that he did not order the bass drum without re-rings, it just came that way from the factory. The virgin 14x14" floor tom, and 6.5x14" snare drum are almost as rare. The set consist of a 14x24", 9x13" 14x14", 16x16" and the matching 6.5x14" 8 lug snare drum.

Posted on 11 years ago

From stedi

Holy smokes Sling,... you already have some pictures to share with us ?!What finish were you thinking of ?

Unfortunately my computer skills are limited and I have to rely on my sons or friends to post pictures. On the the bright side wait until you see the L.A. era prog set that will follow the Oaklawns. It will be another 10 piece prog set with 24" bass drums, 10,12,12,13" rack toms on 2 double tom stands, and 3 floor toms with the matching 6.5x14" L.A. era snare drum. All 10 Keller maple shells with only the 7x10" not being an L.A. era Camco. Once again Precision drum company special made the 10" shell to the exact specifications of an L.A. era camco rack tom. The two 10" toms are actually quite different. I have not decided what finish I will use for the L.A. era prog set but right now I am leaning towards either Alice Cooper White since I have the automotive paint color codes for all three layers!!! Or a simple Walnut Stain? Any and all ideas all most welcome. When I said I had 28 Camco shells I wasn't kidding and now since then, that number has grown considerably...Here are the majority of the toms that will be used.

Posted on 11 years ago

Amazing stuff,...

Walnut stain is never "simple" in my book, I love that finish.

On the other hand, the Alice Cooper white would absolutely fit a Prog Rock set,... very 70's and very rock,... just like Alice Cooper himself.

Remember there's also that other gorgeous AC color,... Cool Dude

What about all the lugs, mounts and badges,... you've got them all ?

Posted on 11 years ago

This is fascinating. Either finish sounds great, but I think I would go woth the walnut. Classy finish for some classy drums.

No wonder Camco drums are so hard to find...

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

From stedi

Amazing stuff,...Walnut stain is never "simple" in my book, I love that finish.On the other hand, the Alice Cooper white would absolutely fit a Prog Rock set,... very 70's and very rock,... just like Alice Cooper himself.Remember there's also that other gorgeous AC color,... Cool DudeWhat about all the lugs, mounts and badges,... you've got them all ?

Yes all of it. Since I have been planning and putting these 2 sets together for years I found that the hoops and Internal Tone Controls ( ITCs ) that are still in great shape were the hardest to find. Also I totally agree with Walnut Stain not being simple, I guess I used the wrong word. It's simple looking but a difficult finish to apply evenly. The clear lacquer is equally as difficult to get looking like glass without any imperfections and without a factory like shop and paint booth. To make 12 to 14 shells all match is going to be really tough...Although I am crazing about the AC Blue, I would feel as if I were copying your set and I like the fact that you have one of the only ones that survived and it still looks fantastic!

Posted on 11 years ago

From tnsquint

This is fascinating. Either finish sounds great, but I think I would go woth the walnut. Classy finish for some classy drums. No wonder Camco drums are so hard to find...

That's a great point, should we start a vote and I'll leave it up to the members to pick the finish? I would be willing to do that since I like them both equally, but I have no idea how to even set it up.? Poor computer skills...

Posted on 11 years ago

I'm wondering if anybody here might have bought a Camco Oaklawn (era)

kit from Ontario/Canada in the last 1 to 2 mths..?

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.