Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

The Slingerlands

So since I am going to restore the Slingerland drums that were once furry, figured I'd start a thread of where we are and the progress to where I wanna be. I decided to wrap them in blue sparkle. The floor tom has all the original hardware except legs. The 13" has all the original lugs but needs rims & tom mount. The bass drum needs lugs,spur mounts & spurs, as well as the tom mount. I decided to unwrap the floor tom and the tom. Even if I managed to remove the spray paint and salvage the wrap, there were still extra holes drilled in, and both drums were missing the badges already. I'll snap a few more photos tonight, but this is where we are staring from...

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

What is that, concrete they joined the two BD`s with ?

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

Quite the project :-). They will look and sound great finished. Hope it goes well.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

Cool! love these threads. Please do keep us entertained with your project, we love watching. This one is going to be some work but it will be worth it, as you already know.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago

From OddBall

What is that, concrete they joined the two BD`s with ?

I think it was a mixture of wood filler and some form of caulk. Needless to say to separate the two all I did was take my small tack hammer and gave the non Slingerland bass drum a few light hits all around and they just came apart. Used my chisels and tack hammer to get away the big pieces on the shell ans the bearing edge. The outer ply I need to sand down a little more to get off the putty ( whats left is easily sanded off ) and the inside aside from being black isn't too bad. I'm gonna plug all the holes with tight fitting dowels as opposed to wood filler. And I think I'm gonna go to Home Depot and see if they can't make me a small can of " chocolate milk " so I can re-do the interior of the bass drum. I'd bring the 13" with me since that is clean on the interior.

Oh I did a head count - 27 extra holes on the bass drum.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Got your work cut out for you, that's for sure! Looking forward to your progress, ArchxAngel. Good luck!

Posted on 8 years ago

My guess it was "Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty". Bad stuff in general and terrible when applied to a drum. The interior just looks spray painted. Enamel Graffiti Remover should get most of that off.

Did the 27 holes have any purpose or just for someones idea of fun?

Thanks!

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

27 holes... part of the "27 Club" ... Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison...

27 holes! WT*@#$?!

Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 8 years ago

Well 16 of those holes were for the 8 generic lugs they decided to install because they didn't wanna go with the holes slingerland already had... Then there are the three big ones and four small ones on the tom mount. And then there are four random holes, don't look like they went to any cymbal holder or anything of the like. Thankfully they only drilled for lugs on one side and not both and didn't add legs onto this shell. And yea...swiss cheese!

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Here is what we look like at the end of today. Got the wrap off the 13" and 14". All the holes on the bass drum are exposed and measured to be plugged. Ordering the wrap tomorrow, getting some parts off a fellow forum member for the bass drum.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here