Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

The Saga Continues

I just received a Gretsch WMP snare drum that I recently purchased and, in lieu of answering some open questions that I had, its arrival actually added to my concerns.

A few days ago I started a post entitled GRETSCH NAME BAND SNARE. In it I expressed my concerns regarding this particular drum being manufactured WITHOUT the Gretsch label as well as the Gretsch key holder. I also posted some pics of the shell in an attempt to determine the amount of plies (which I still don't know).

The drum features a 5 1/2 x 14 Shell, Gretsch Permatone Batter Side Head, Micro-Sensitive Strainer w/1-Point Snare Butt, Gretsch Round Badge, 8-Broadkaster Lugs, Grey-Painted Interior Shell and Dial-Tone Muffler Assembly. The prior owner claims that, as far as he knows, all are original to the drum as is the White Marine Pearl wrap.

My concerns are the absence of the drum key holder and the "turned in" grommet installed on the Gretsch Round Badge. Did the company install the grommets in this manner from the factory or do you believe that the badge in question, and shown in the pics that I posted, was removed at some time and re-installed for some reason? Since this is the only Gretsch snare that I currently own I have nothing to compare it with. Also, have you ever seen a Gretsch Name Band model snare drum WITHOUT the key holder installed on the shell?

Based on the above, can anyone determine the year this one would have been manufactured as well as make some sort of statement regarding its originality? Also, any comments on the number of shell plies would be greatly appreciated.

As usual, thanks in advance for your help!Bowing

Posted on 15 years ago

The grommet is legit. That I know. :)

You might check out this link...

http://www.hi-net.ne.jp/~samasa/gretsch.htm

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

GoneDrumming: THANKS for clarifying one of my MAJOR concerns. I certainly appreciate your time.

Posted on 15 years ago

The drum is legit....that an original type of grommet used on the snares and the fact that it does not have a snap in key holder would lead me to believe that it might have been a "delete order", or possibly an endorser ordered it that way.....also, its a 6-ply shell, probably somewhere between 1959 and 1963 as I didn't notice a paper label inside in your pics. Great score. And a great sounding drum...stop worrying you did good! LOL!

Posted on 15 years ago

Ludwig-Dude: Thanks for providing additional POSITIVE feedback. You are correct in that there is no Gretsch label affixed to the interior of the shell.

Posted on 15 years ago

Change the wrap to Midnight Blue Pearl and you've got my snare down to the last detail. No tags, silver interior, single-point snare butt, no key holder... it's legit.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but yours looks like a 3-ply drum to me, as does my own snare. Which is mystifying to me, because I'd read that Gretsch switched to 6-ply shells when they started using silver interiors. So either there was a transition period with silver sealer and 3-ply shells, or I'm terrible at counting plys. I'd say the odds are about even. :)

[EDIT: I just notice that Ludwig-dude says it's a 6-ply. I'll defer to his expertise. L-D, for my own edification, can you point out how you counted 6 plies from the photo? I'm not so hot at this.]

As I understand it, Gretsch started using silver sealer around '58 or '59, and switched to die-cast rims and paper tags around '63 or so. You've got stick-chopper rims and no tags, so I'd agree with Ludwig-dude and guess your snare was made between '58 and '63, give or take.

Great find! Let us know how it sounds. I've had trouble getting my snares to respond well (I hear Gretsch did not do the best job cutting their snare beds back in the day), but others have had better results.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here