Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

The Question Asked So Many Times!

What exact paint should I use to replicate the color and look of 60's Ludwig drum Hoops. I there a paint that has the look and won't crack? I finally have finished the sanding on the set and it is time to re-paint. A new set from me should be coming up soon on the forum. I think I might have found another deal.

Any help and all help is welcome.

Thanks ahead of time!

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

The paint should not crack if applied correctly. Most painters will tell you it is all in the preperation.

That includes a primer coat under the main paint.

Any semi-gloss black should do the trick. Light even coats and some proper sanding in-between is always the way to go.

Another big help is a spray booth to cut down on any dust in the room. There is nothing worse then a flying bug that decides to land on the fresh painted hoop!

David

Posted on 15 years ago

I'll pass on a great product that I've been using for a number of years now . This comes in a aerosol can,or if you have spray equipment it is sold in quart cans ,the product is" Dupi-Color Engine Enamel". This is sold at Auto Zone stores.

This paint has just the right amount of gloss, it lays down very well( the can has a super nozzle). Set up time is moderate (it is not an enamel). Dust free in 10~15 minutes. Will allow a good build depth.

I've finished off the last three bass hoop sets with this paint. Hope this gives you an answer to your question.

DAVE.

1 attachments
1959 Gretsch Round Badge Be-Bop kit, BDP.
1962 Rogers Jazz kit, WDP.
1971 Ludwig kit, Black Panther.
2005 Slingerland Studio King Jazz kit, natural.
2005 Sonor Delite Be-Bop kit, cherry.
Posted on 15 years ago

Thank you. Is it a spray?

Recent Purchases

Working On

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi.

Yes, it is a spray on, from the can.

DAVE.

1959 Gretsch Round Badge Be-Bop kit, BDP.
1962 Rogers Jazz kit, WDP.
1971 Ludwig kit, Black Panther.
2005 Slingerland Studio King Jazz kit, natural.
2005 Sonor Delite Be-Bop kit, cherry.
Posted on 15 years ago

Do you do any prep work other than sanding?

Recent Purchases

Working On

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

From aerodrums

I'll pass on a great product that I've been using for a number of years now . This comes in a aerosol can,or if you have spray equipment it is sold in quart cans ,the product is" Dupi-Color Engine Enamel"... DAVE.

I have used engine paint, and although I normally prime under all paints, I don't before I use engine paint. You could use an auto primer, but if you do, get black so that scratches won't show through later.

I've found that engine paint is the best paint I can find in a can, and I use it for all kinds of stuff as well as car engines.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here