Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

The Power of Gibraltar Floating Floor Tom Feet

My early 1970 SSB Gretsch 14x14 floor has always be plagued with not quite having that "Great Gretsch Sound". I've tried both high and low tunings, batter higher than the resonant, resonant higher than the batter and both heads the same. I had coated Ambassadors on both the top and bottom, but now I have Evans coated G2's on the top and clear Genera Resonant on the bottom. No matter what, I could never get the same punchy quick decaying sound I get from the 12x8 tom tom (even while mounted on the rail consolette). Strike the floor tom and it's like hitting a plastic container. The floor tom legs are the straight flared end type with small rubber feet. I've seen other threads discussing my exact situation with Gretsch floor toms using strait legs and how the sound of the drum is absorbed straight through to the ground.

I purchased 4 sets of Gibraltar SC-FFT Floating Floor Tom Feet back in December to install on our different kits (Premier, Rogers and Ludwig). Each of those kit's floor toms never had the issue like the Gretsch floor tom, so I didn't hear a drastic change in sound. My son recently set up the Gretsch kit, so I was quickly reminded of the "dead floor tom syndrome" (DFTS). I had also forgot about having one last set of the Gibraltar feet. This morning I remembered and it took me less than a minute to flip over the floor tom, remove the stock rubber feet, install the floating feet and flip the floor tom back over.

One word: AMAZING!

It's literally a different drum now. I haven't even messed with the tuning yet and it already has that punchy quick decaying sound that matches/compliments the tom tom. The volume has increased too. Before installing the floating feet, the floor tom would easily get over powered by the rest of the drums. Triplets take on a new meaning with this kit now. I often read that other people would praise and worship the Gretsch 14x14 floor tom and I wondered why. I finally get it now and it's all because I spent less than $10 for some hunks of molded rubber.

Sorry for the long winded post, but hopefully this information will help others that are having the same issue I once had.

Bottom line, spend the little money and buy the Gibraltar SC-FFT Floating Floor Tom Feet.

-Tim

Posted on 9 years ago

With those type of legs and the straight legs, these type of accessories are a must, Glad you found the answer you were seeking.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

I've had the same experience with a couple of floor toms now, most recently a 14X14" Club Date. The simple technology is simply amazing!

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

I've been touting these for years. Every drum I own that has spurs or legs has these rubber feet on them. Put a set on the bass drum spurs. They do the same thing for a bass drum as they do for a floor tom.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here