Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

The path of a Rogers Covington drum

Have you ever wondered about the path a Rogers Covington drum took from raw shell to completion?

Allow a man who was part of it , Dan Davis to tell you all about that process.

I hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/4Z8oNFYKIwA

Posted on 1 year ago

Very interesting, thanks much!

Glad you found Dan Davis!

Regards, mb

Posted on 1 year ago

Another cool video. Subscribed to your channel. Thank you

Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks once again Anthony. As usual, I learn something. I had been under the impression (from where I do not know) that Rogers bought raw shells without reinforcing rings. This video dispels that notion. I seems to make more sense that they would buy the shell complete and move forward to apply their own technology to the bearing edges and snare beds, which was different than the other major drum manufacturers of that time. Did Dan comment on where Rogers bought the shells during the period in which he was employed by Rogers?

Posted on 1 year ago

From Dan Boucher

Thanks once again Anthony. As usual, I learn something. I had been under the impression (from where I do not know) that Rogers bought raw shells without reinforcing rings. This video dispels that notion. I seems to make more sense that they would buy the shell complete and move forward to apply their own technology to the bearing edges and snare beds, which was different than the other major drum manufacturers of that time. Did Dan comment on where Rogers bought the shells during the period in which he was employed by Rogers?

Rogers were supplied by Jasper with 3 ply shells from the mid 50s to around 1965 when they changed to Keller 5 ply shells when Jasper was having trouble filling orders that the fast growing Rogers company was submitting.

until Keller was convinced to make tooling and forms for drums larger than 22" Rogers bought shells larger than that from Slingerland and built them out as Rogers drums.

though Keller became the primary supplier of shells in 65 Jasper would still periodically provide Rogers with shell... doing so into the 70s

There is another widely published theory about shells suppliers in a certain book that is incorrect.

Posted on 1 year ago

In your experience, what is the easiest, reasonably accurate, and non-destructive way to determine if you have the 3-ply or 5-ply shell for drums likely to have been built during the transition period?

Posted on 1 year ago

From Dan Boucher

In your experience, what is the easiest, reasonably accurate, and non-destructive way to determine if you have the 3-ply or 5-ply shell for drums likely to have been built during the transition period?

a look at the bearing edges make it pretty clear most of the time.

also the Keller shells have a bit of a tighter look at the edge ... for lack of a better term.

There are often little gaps where the plies meet in a jasper shell... I'll try to attach a pic of what I mean below.

On Powertone or Tower snare drum the 3 ply drums will have the vent hole one panel away from the throw and the 5 ply drums will have the vent hole on the panel next to the throw.

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/GtnZ4ywr/IMG-2318.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here