Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

The Gretsch theory behind....

Thier 60,s RB drums being oversized and difficult to get heads to fit easily?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

What an interesting topic. By that time, plastic (mylar) heads were in vogue and calf was well on the way out (sadly). I've no clue as to why they made the shells with such a large outer diameter. It really made no sense and was contrary to obtaining optimum sound from the shell. I think that maybe the early run plastic head hoops were a bit different than what they design these days. Most all makers are aware of the undersized shell variable and realize there is more 'play' in the hoops. I've worked with some of the NOS heads of the 60s and can attest that they were indeed slightly different than what is being manufactured as the norm these days. That's all I can figure.

Posted on 14 years ago

Totally talking out of my posterior here but I'll take a stab at this.

I'd imagine that when they were making these drums back in the day, they said to themselves, "Hmmm, a 14" drum...should probably be 14" OD". I think the whole idea of making a shell undersized is kind of an afterthought.

At the time when they originally started making the RB kits in the 50's, people were still using calf heads. Calf heads could be fit to the drum, whereas today shell makers are making their shells in response to modern head specs.

Posted on 14 years ago

The other 3 makers never had this problem,thats why im thinking Gretsch had a theory behind this because they never rectified the situation.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

My 30s RK snares need Aquarian vintage heads because of their OD. I think the smaller ODs came about after plastic heads were introduced. I could be wrong.

Posted on 14 years ago

From wayne

The other 3 makers never had this problem,thats why im thinking Gretsch had a theory behind this because they never rectified the situation.

I have a mid-60s Ludwig 22" kick that has the same problem (and an early 70s that DOESN'T). Also, a 60s Rogers 16" marching tom (converted to a kick) with the same problem. And, of course, a 60s Gretsch 20" kick as well with the same issue. I think it was a problem across the board. Although the late 50s Slingerland I had briefly seemed to accept modern heads just fine...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

From wayne

I'm wondering if Jasper had anything to do with it? These guys were furniture makers not drum makers, they probably didn't think anything about fitting heads onto the shells that they were making. They probably made them to the exact specs that Gretsch asked for and didn't even think of the other factors like added diameter of the wrap. Its known that Jasper was making plywood tubes in various sizes before any dealings with Gretsch, so it is very likely that the molds for the shells already existed and were never intended to be for making drums.

Posted on 14 years ago

I heard that Jasper was making forms for concrete pipe and the forms were made from this wood. The wood tubes were cut into shells and used by Gretsch (and Walberg and Auge) as shells. Because of this they push the limits of the diameter. Ever notice the edges on the toms are often roundover edges? I wonder if the shells were not noticeably larger even by their current standards?

Also, it is a fact that current drum companies make their shells (dw is of particular note) slightly smaller so the heads fit over them easier.

I've had other brand drums that had trouble fitting modern heads over. I also had a 60s Rogers, it was a 12" rack tom, but I believe it was a bit warped as well, so that could be an alternate explanation for THAT one.

I was told by a Ludwig expert that Ludwig began ordering their Supraphonic and Acrolite shells 1/8" smaller than before, in the early 90s. Any slight out-of roundness of these shells would be compensated by this reduction in diameter. It also explains why Ludwig's newer Supras have that splay in the tension rods.

Posted on 14 years ago

Premier drums have always believed that slightly undersized shells made for a BETTER sounding drum,that was thier theory..I was curious if Gretsch thought the opposite of that?...Frankly,im with Premier on this one,plus they had much nicer chrome than anyone in the industry.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

I've often wondered this myself. 3 ply Gretsch drums aren't oversized (usually), it's only the 6 ply Jasper shells, and it tends to be the mid to late 60's drums that are the worst. Not all of them, either...I've had RB drums with thick, glass glitter wrap where heads fit easily. I've also had drums with very thin wrap, like BDP, that would not fit a modern Remo for anything.

One theory I've heard is that Gretsch did this in order to force their customers to buy their slightly oversized Permatone drum heads.

-Bill

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here