Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

The finish that started it..

Here are some pics of a Tempro kit I have. The kick is a Tempro pro I picked up off the 'bay. The toms are ones that came with another kit and were covered in white contact paper. The paper had knicks in it so I pulled a bit up one day and discovered this great finish. The wrap was all sticky from the glue being on there so long. I ended up re-wrapping these with some wrap from a company called Drum Designs. He did a great job matching the wrap I sent him. Unfortunately, the kick is a little more red than the tom covering was....

Enjoy:

[Attachment: 9411] [Attachment: 9412] [Attachment: 9413]

3 attachments

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's cool, good call on getting it custom-matched, too. Those Japanese swirls were awesome...cannot really get that done in a stock or semi-stock today.

Drummaker.com can do a custom-tinted swirl, but it's a swirl pattern produced by Delmar (US) and it doesn't have the depth, the greys, the blacks, of the original Japanese wraps.

So, even if not a perfect match, yours looks hecka good to me....

Just curious how much did that cost, to get a matched reproduction for the bass drum ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I'd like to know more about Drum Designs. Specifically like what happened to 'em? Their site is gone.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That's cool, good call on getting it custom-matched, too. Those Japanese swirls were awesome...cannot really get that done in a stock or semi-stock today.Drummaker.com can do a custom-tinted swirl, but it's a swirl pattern produced by Delmar (US) and it doesn't have the depth, the greys, the blacks, of the original Japanese wraps.So, even if not a perfect match, yours looks hecka good to me....Just curious how much did that cost, to get a matched reproduction for the bass drum ?[/COLOR]

It wasn't bad, especially since it was a custom job....

Posted on 14 years ago

From Rob G.

I'd like to know more about Drum Designs. Specifically like what happened to 'em? Their site is gone.

I believe the owner took some time to do some R&D.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hope he comes back soon. IIRC, he's in Indy, as am I. Really like to see if he could match some colors for me. :D

Posted on 14 years ago

Those are cool! I Love some these old MIJ wraps that are starting to pop up here, now we are "empowering and inspiring" the owners of them to bring them out of the closets, and attics, to polish them up and show them to the world, free of embarrassment.

However, living here in the drab bread basket, where the 70s had to be so excruciatingly conservative, I haven't seen anything like what you guys find. Here we are seeing, when they do appear, sparkles....and maybe solids.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a political statement, and I am not "out in left field either. I grew up in the even more conservative deep southBurger Kin, where during the 60s and 70s flower almost everything was under "blue laws", closed on Sunday. But if, at 16, you were ballsy enough to walk up to the counter with a six-pack, most shop owners were selling.

Anywho, let's get more of these funky wraps out in the light of day!flowers2

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From Rob G.

Hope he comes back soon. IIRC, he's in Indy, as am I. Really like to see if he could match some colors for me. :D

Sorry Rob, Greg (Drum Design) is in Texas and his day job at Lockheed takes up a lot of his time...

Posted on 14 years ago

Would anyone be interested in these if I decide to sell? I have a set of Ludwig Standards in the same finish with Classic lugs, so they are certainly more rare...

Posted on 14 years ago

Ahh...I thought there was someone else doing something similar in Indy. Lockheed, eh? Surely that can't take that much of his time. ;)

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here